10K hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Muncher, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I recently heard about 10000 rpm, and even 15K rpm hard drives (and the prices match the speed :D ). My question for today is, are they compatible with iMacs? Are they worth it? And the final question... Are they reliable enough for day to day work (simple stuff)?

Those things are rockets compared to the Ford model T the 4500 rpm drive.

2. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I've always been skeptical about how reliable they are. My 4200/5400 RPM hard drives die quite often (3-5 years), so I can't imagine what the 10,000 RPM drives are like...

3. Silentwave macrumors 68000

The 10K RPM drives tend to be built to very high standards. Since they tend to be available in SATA 150, and the iMac Intels take desktop SATA hard drives, they should work fine.

15K RPM drives are currently only available in SAS and SCSI U160/320/640 as far as I know. The only mac that currently supports any of these (SAS) is the XServe Intel.

4. SVG macrumors newbie

Better watch out for heat though ... I hear they run real hot.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

They do indeed run extremely hot. I would not want to put one in an iMac, which has very specific heat dissipation design. The slight performance gain is not worth the risk and expense. If you have a Mac Pro though, I'd definitely pop one in.

6. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

The only 15k drives I've seen are SCSI and for servers. They are hot and LOUD. The need bigger fans that are also LOUD. You don't want them in your home machine. They're faster than snot though. There is a noticable difference between 5400 and 7500 rpm in load times, but in the end I always opt for more storage/less speed. It's a better value.

Greg.

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

correction 7200rpm
    anyways:
    in an imac go for 7200rpm, 10k wouldn't be the best for the iMac or the drive, heat issues.

8. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

The ambient temp of my 150Gb Raptor is 97F* compared to my factory Seagate 250gb being 94F.

I am using two Raptor 150s in a Raid 0 config in a mac pro as my OSX drive while having the original Seagate as a scratch disk.

I think the iMac could easily handle a 3F increase.

*I took the higher of the two Raptors.