$10K worth of programs for Free!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TREOdeJaneiro, Jan 25, 2008.

1. TREOdeJaneiro macrumors newbie

How can people sell a, for example, MacBook Pro LOADED with thousands of dollars worth of software for $2265 or some such ridiculous price?

I see ads like this all the time on eBay and Craigslist.

What's the low-down on this? Is this just illegal software? Does the software actually work?

I have asked sellers if disks came with it and have received answers like, "the programs are loaded on the computer, there are no disks but you can backup your harddrive and always have the S/W".

What's really going on here?

Thank you!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

3. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

+1 for pirated software. If they can pass along/sell you the software's discs, they probably didn't pay for it in the first place.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    While most of it is likely pirated, there may be a percentage of it which they have bought but are planning on keeping the discs themselves to reinstall on a new machine. Of course, that's illegal too but since most buyers aren't going to complain, there's not much that will stop it.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I would suspect that's usually what's going on. So don't expect any support on that software, or the ability to reinstall it!

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I agree, I think this is most likely to be pirated software. It's too easy to download it these days.

I used to use pirate software alot, but now I like the 'cool factor' of owning GENUINE & Boxed versions of the software (especially when I can get it at educational prices like Logic Studio 8 for £118 :D)