10's of Millions FaceTime devices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThirteenXIII, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Does that mean perhaps non-Apple devices and even Apple devices will be able to participate in "FaceTime with iPhone users?

Or perhaps on various mobile handsets or various iPhone handsets?

looks very interesting to say the least.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    What video chat? Yeah, haven't seen that before.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

They say that it will be an open standard. I think that means that others can use it.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Interesting, however, since nothing was suggested, I assume it'll be limited to iDevices only.

5. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

i could see them integrating it with iChat on computers, which would easily put it up there in the millions...

6. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Android will have it, but Android won't be locked to wifi. haha.

7. jambobowron macrumors regular

jambobowron

i know your right, they're taking it to the (standards commission?) and making it open standard.

I really hope this happens with an update to iChat around the 24th. that would mean they would have to create a native app for iChat on iPhone? or maybe they could integrate it with the address book so you call iChat on a mac? Exciting:rolleyes:

8. aluren macrumors 65816

So can someone like Beejive utilize the front camera and allow us to do video chat through MSN or other online chat services?

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No doubt if its becoming a "standard" then we should expect it in both the iPad and iPod touch. OSX integration would be nice too.

10. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

What, sarcasm? havent heard that before......

would be nice integration if the networks/carriers could utilize it as well. make talking and telecommunications a lot easier imo.

11. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Steve said APPLE will be releasing these products. Sounds like it's either iPhones and iPods or iPhones iPods and another not yet mentioned iPad. But seeing as though apple loves a year between it's products, I highly doubt it includes ipads.

12. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

10's of millions. iPhone is worldwide so it's safe to assume they'll sell at least 10million iPhones.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then get an Android.
    What are you doing here?

14. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and iChat = 10's of Millions FaceTime devices

15. galahan macrumors member

The play is for other phone and software manufacturers to adopt the standard. That's why they wrote OPEN in 3 ft. font on one of the slides. They'd have no reason to make an iDevice-only protocol open. The more non-apple products that use it, the greater the network effect, the better for apple.

16. UnitedLax342 macrumors member

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This will cause tons of traffic accidents and people walking of high ledges.

18. doobry macrumors regular

You realise the only reason it's wifi only at the moment is because AT&T probably begged Apple not to roll out Facetime over 3G until their network had a hope in hell of supporting it right?

Lets hope at least one or two of the Euro carriers have the capacity to go live with that at day 1..

Also, we've had 3G video conferencing capability on our phones in the UK for about 7 years.. I used it once. It sucked. I can't see facetime making that much difference to the experience. You'll still need to sit or stand somewhere with the phone in an uncomfortable position so you can see/be seen. AT&T are afraid of a novelty that will be rarely used past the first week of launch IMHO.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yea cause it was on a phone using crappy WM OS or outdated symbian phone. I also tried it too on the Tytn 2. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a near flawless experience.

You are underestimating us Americans and the youth of the world. We will drive, walk, skate, eat, and take a crap while using facetime. :p

20. doobry macrumors regular

Fixed that for you ;-)

Also, I can see a whole new line of lawyers lining up for the first "facetime killed my $familymember" class action suit;)

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Someone tell me, is this Facetime thing (once it's not wifi only) going to be any different from video chat on a bazillion other phones?

'cause if I can't use it to call my mum's SEricsson video chat enabled phone then it seems kinda pointless.

Then again, I think video chat on a phone's pretty pointless (and uncomfortable to hold/position) anyway. I had a video chat enabled phone for 2 years and never once used it.

22. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Err, last I checked the iPod Touch and iPad didn't have cameras...

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10s of Millions FaceTime devices = existing macbooks that are capable of iChat.

24. Shorties macrumors 6502a

Well he said specifically in 2010, which implies devices soon to come out. since he can't speak for 3rd party developers, I can only see this meaning two things, maybe Facetime + iChat, or that they will add Facetime to all the iOS devices by the end of the year. The iPods will get updated in september, and I won't be surprised if they decide to upgrade the iPad in september as well to add a camera. (My guess is they will make a 128GB iPad, along with adding cameras to the entire line, just before christmas, since those 64GB chips are out there floating around). Purely speculation, though my speculation of moving to Micro-Sim based on apple's pattern behavior was spot on months ago before the Gizmodo leak. (I've been wrong many times too though, like a 64GB iPhone in that same thread)

25. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Err the next gen iPod touch and iPad will