Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
This was reported as an issue with Real Racing 3 as far back as 11.1 Beta 2 but not fixed
http://rr3.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:193858
http://rr3.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:193858

Other games affected are all the Asphalt games from Gameloft. If anyone has 11.2 Beta 1 and has any game that uses the gyroscope to steer, please test the steering and if it's still broken please report a bug, and post on this thread, thanks!!!

https://forum.gameloft.com/viewtopic.php?f=1908&t=557756

http://rr3.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:198138

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Also seems to totally break the spirit level on the second page of the compass app, assume same issue.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Spirit level in 11.2 beta 1 seems fine. Any racing game in particular with this issue so I can test and report back?

Reactions: Mudodonbond

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
Also seems to totally break the spirit level on the second page of the compass app, assume same issue.

Could be that I'm not understanding the problem, but I seem to have no issues with this whatsoever on 11.1.

Could you elaborate on the problem?

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Spirit level in 11.2 beta 1 seems fine. Any racing game in particular with this issue so I can test and report back?
Thanks for checking. For me to get 0 on the spirit level on 11.1 I have to tilt at about 5-10 degrees. Games known to be affected on 11.1 so far are Real Racing 3, Asphalt 8, Asphalt Xtreme.
[doublepost=1509708702][/doublepost]
Could be that I'm not understanding the problem, but I seem to have no issues with this whatsoever on 11.1.

Could you elaborate on the problem?
It is misreading what is flat - so on a flat surface it should be giving a 0 reading, but to get that on 11.1, for me you have to tilt it 5-10 degrees

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for checking. For me to get 0 on the spirit level on 11.1 I have to tilt at about 5-10 degrees. Games known to be affected on 11.1 so far are Real Racing 3, Asphalt 8, Asphalt Xtreme.
[doublepost=1509708702][/doublepost]
It is misreading what is flat - so on a flat surface it should be giving a 0 reading, but to get that on 11.1, for me you have to tilt it 5-10 degrees

The spirit level in the compass app has to be calibrated. Place it on a known flat surface and tap the screen to calibrate. Repeat for each axis.

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
The spirit level in the compass app has to be calibrated. Place it on a known flat surface and tap the screen to calibrate. Repeat for each axis.
Hmmm, interesting. So I managed to get it to show 0 on a flat surface, and then played a game of Asphalt 8, which seemed OK at the start but steadily it got worse again. By the third game I was almost having to hold the phone 90 degrees from me to play! I then close Asphalt 8, opened the compass app, went to spirit level and put on a flat surface and it was showing -18 (whatever that means) and the circles were wide apart.

Reactions: R3DPILL REBEL

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Hmmm, interesting. So I managed to get it to show 0 on a flat surface, and then played a game of Asphalt 8, which seemed OK at the start but steadily it got worse again. By the third game I was almost having to hold the phone 90 degrees from me to play! I then close Asphalt 8, opened the compass app, went to spirit level and put on a flat surface and it was showing -18 (whatever that means) and the circles were wide apart.

Sounds like faulty hardware to me. If you have a local Apple Store, it's time for a visit I think. :(

Edit: I'm surprised calibration made any difference in the game at all to be honest. I thought it would just fix the compass.

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like faulty hardware to me. If you have a local Apple Store, it's time for a visit I think. :(

Edit: I'm surprised calibration made any difference in the game at all to be honest. I thought it would just fix the compass.
No, it can't be that, large numbers of people have the same problem, see the links in the first post, basically anyone who has upgraded to 11.1 who plays any of the Asphalt games or Real Racing 3 (which is from a different developer) has the problem, no Apple device known yet without the problem.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
No, it can't be that, large numbers of people have the same problem, see the links in the first post, basically anyone who has upgraded to 11.1 who plays any of the Asphalt games or Real Racing 3 (which is from a different developer) has the problem, no Apple device known yet without the problem.

Ah yes, my bad, I missed those links. Software it is then I guess. Very odd.

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
iPhone 5S, iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Air 2
Did you play more than one game consecutively on one device, as the problem gets worse after one game. If you could just try that, I might try the next Beta myself :)

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2015
USA
Did you play more than one game consecutively on one device, as the problem gets worse after one game. If you could just try that, I might try the next Beta myself :)
Yea I played real racing a little. Maybe 4-5 games. And storm raiders around 15minutes

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately someone who is on 11.2 developer beta 2 says that with iPad Mini 2 (which has same basic chipset as iPhone 5s and iPad Air) the problem is still there.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Strange how this is only some games as if they implement things in a different way. I dont play any of the above games but have been playing a lot of Gear Cub and thats fine through various iOS11 releases although not tried any of the latest beta software.

GranT101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
Strange how this is only some games as if they implement things in a different way. I dont play any of the above games but have been playing a lot of Gear Cub and thats fine through various iOS11 releases although not tried any of the latest beta software.
It could be the newest devices are not affected. I know Prozak0820 says he has tested on a iPhone 5s, but maybe he only played one game? The problem gets progressively worse the more you play so you need to play maybe 15 minutes on each device to be sure. If Prozak wouldn't mind doing a bit more testing on the 5s that would be great!!:apple:

Last edited:

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2015
USA
It could be the newest devices are not affected. I know Prozak0820 says he has tested on a iPhone 5s, but maybe he only played one game? The problem gets progressively worse the more you play so you need to play maybe 15 minutes on each device to be sure. If Prozak wouldn't mind doing a bit more testing on the 5s that would be great!!:apple:
I’m on it haha I’ll let you know in 20-30min or so

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.