'11-'13 MBPs w/ video issues-

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OverSpun, May 27, 2016.

1. OverSpun, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

How many of you have had your logic boards replaced more than once after issues (https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/)

I have a late '11 MBP.

I had my logic board replaced under warranty, a week before my apple care ended in end '14.

Now my external screen gets scrambled and goes grey blended looking and the computer auto restarts. The computer works without an external though...

I originally thought my apple external adaptor failed and swapped to another and it didnt help at all. Still scramble and restarts. Ridiculous, makes my computer a lemon after the logic board fails again after about a year and a half? I should take it to an apple store and I hope they handle it since the video issue recall replace is active until december.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Many people have had them replaced multiple times, AMD's card is just no good with unleaded solder and Apple can't use leaded solder to fix it due to environmental laws so it keeps reoccurring.

You can get Apple to fix it again or you can go on eBay and find someone to reball it with leaded solder.

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Do all Macs use unleaded solder?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes since 2006 if I remember correctly, it doesn't deal with heating cooling cycles nearly as well as leaded.

5. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

That's unfortunate. Unleaded solder is pretty ******. It's what I suspect lead to the YLOD of my launch PS3.