'11 2.2GHz 15" - Integrated graphics can't play youtube

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRdungeon, Sep 24, 2011.

1. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Hey all, when my mbp is running on the integrated it can't play youtube videos, just comes up with a mess of lines where it should be. Works fine when i switch to the 6750M but kind of a pain when I want to conserve some power. Has anyone else had this?

2. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have the same MBP as you, and mine works fine.

4. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

5. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I have the same MBP as you do and YouTube plays fine while using the integrated card. Have you always had this problem or is it something new after installing a software update or RAM/HDD change?

6. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point, it appears to be working again now however! Nothing's changed really, was still doing it before the firmware update recently

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

The problem is your browser. Chrome and FF (and maybe others) can't auto switch, so if the program was opened with the integrated card, then that's all you can use. If it was started with the dedicated card, then only that will work. If you start the browser with the dedicated card activated then switch to the integrated, you'll see those lines until you either switch back to the dedicated card or quit/re-open with the integrated.

Also, when I say "started", I mean the program was fully closed (no light under the icon) and then opened. Simply clicking the red X won't work.

8. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Opening Chome in with one GPU and switching the second causes the youtube window to be transparent (I can see the window behind), this happens when going from Intel -> ATI so I think it's something to do with the browser and the switching, not youtube or the HD3000 itself.

9. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah that is definitely it cheers, thanks grahamnp too. Kind of annoying that Safari has so much better integration than FF and chrome (Especially with the 2 finger swipe for navigation in Lion etc)

10. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

2 finger swipe is in Chrome now. Last update fixed a lot of problems.

I experience the transparent window when I use the flash blocker in Chrome.

11. TheRdungeon thread starter macrumors 6502

yea true, doesn't animate aswell as safari though. Think I'll start using Safari more now eh