11.3 update: magenta dots in background?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Derek87, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

I updated my ATV4k to 11.3 last night and it went smoothly. I was hoping it would solve the glitches I’ve had in my three weeks of ownership including crashes and the ATV refusing to sleep.

This morning some observations:

1. Even with sleep set to 15 min I saw that led glowing this morning.

2. I picked up my iPhone 7 and it showed me that the ATV wanted some input as it was offering me use of the phone keyboard.

3. I turned on my tv and it brought up the home screen. Because my macro hits the "menu" button as part of its sequence I never got to see what the ATV wanted me to respond to. (Wish I had I had thought about manually powering things up to see what was going on)

Nevertheless, I noticed that the background was no longer a uniform light tone. It had superimposed on it purple/magenta dots (uniform grid of them as if it was intended new background) Anyone else seen this? Nothing else looked wrong or changed in appearance (apps images looked normal). Is this a new 11.3 thing) Bad cable? (it was fine before the update) these dots aren't there when i go into the settings screen which has the normal light gray background. I could have sworn the background wasn’t like that last night when I went to bed. I had to hurry off to work so I didn’t have time to investigate.

i wonder if some other settings got reset in the 11.3 update (i noticed the Match settings were both set to off so i had to reset those)

2. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

it can't be the cable, as the icons are fine

try rebooting the aTV

if that doesn't work, try toggling the dark/light mode under "settings -> general - appearance"
    it appears the background image isn't loaded properly

4. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. Reboot fixed it. Very odd. This ATv has been the least reliable apple product I've owned in the last 30 years.

I still haven't figure out the solution for it flashing between signal (home screen showing) and "no signal" no matter what I have tried this far.

Hard to tell if I got a hardware problem or just a bad interaction between the atv and my Sony tv.