11.5 for 6750M?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Capulet, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Capulet macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone had a tutorial or know of any way to install the notebook drivers from AMD/ATI in Boot Camp for a 6750? This is for Windows 7. I would like to get the latest drivers, since I am having some issues with performance in certain games.

2. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

It installs Catalyst, and everything, EXCEPT the display driver.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just to make sure, how are you verifying that?

6. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

During the install process it doesn't say it does, device manager does not show anything except that standard display, upon reboot its still large. I have installed drivers before for ATI, this the first time they do not work.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

In device manager, is the display adapter being reported as an AMD 6700 Series or are you looking at the monitor? A GPU-Z screenshot would be nice as well.

8. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Display Adapter does not report anything AMD/ATI, just the Standard Display adapter or whatever its called.

I would use GPU-Z but currently I am formatting my macbook because I was having blue-screen issues which may have been caused by my new hard drive or DDR3 1600 MHz RAM.

9. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is a screenshot of GPU-Z

Attached Files:

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I did some research. ATI does have specific drivers for usage under Boot Camp but are much older than 11.5.

Another idea was to find the Device ID of the device from the .inf files in the ATI folder the installer creates on the C: drive. You would have to go through the Windows driver installation dialog and effectively force Windows to install the drivers from for the proper device from the .inf list.

Someone else is looking for an answer for their iMac as well.

You might want to install the included drivers and upgrade as well if you have not tried that yet. I can understand the desire for a clean driver install.

11. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

So apart from the ways you just mentioned Apple only provides you with the January crap drivers?

12. r3vo714 macrumors newbie

Im getting the exact same problem on my 2011 15" MBP.

13. Jelle Mees macrumors newbie

I already posted the solution... :rolleyes:

14. Dionysus2112 macrumors newbie

Those driver will not install on a any of the 6490m or 6750 switchable notebook gpu.

The only ones that did install where the hotfix drivers which hurt overall performance.

15. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I have not tried the hotfix drivers, but these are the only ones that worked for me.

http://forum.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=345525

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You should have bought a Macbook Pro in 2007! The x1600 drivers were released for an early 2006 Macbook Pro, so they were already a year old. Then there's the problem that, because the video card was so old, ATI didn't support it in Windows 7, even though the MBP was shipping after Vista came out...

Apple + Windows is potentially worse than the blu-ray "bag of hurt"!

17. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty much, Apple doesn't help either with its faulty AppleHFS.sys driver that gives me bluescreens if I accidently access the Mac partition.

I am actually appalled how they can't just add a few lines in their .inf files to support a new card. I just picture ATI's driver department working for 5 minutes each month for a new catalyst and doing nonsense for the rest. Its ridiculous, one would think with monthly driver updates, they would actually be up to date...

18. Jelle Mees macrumors newbie

19. Capulet thread starter macrumors newbie

20. Jelle Mees macrumors newbie