Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I noticed with macos 11.5 and 11.5.1, sometimes when I'm watching a video (youtube in Chrome or Safari or Spotify) when I try to change the volume up or down the visual representation on screen of the volume changing will be very slow (a few seconds for each tick instead of instantly) and the cursor will beachball. The area above the touchbar will overheat.

I just had to hard reset and it's not doing it right now, but seems to do it after my MBP has been running a while.

In Activity Monitor, WindowServer seems to be spiking for % CPU.
Touching CapsLock repeatedly also triggers this.

This still happens with only Finder and Activity Monitor open.

Automatic graphics switching is on. Should I turn it off?

Last edited:

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL

Other TouchBar touches like changes brightness are the same. Delayed on screen and beachball.

This doesn't seem to be related to video now, altho it's more noticeable when video is playing.

MBP (2019) i9 2.4GHz/32GB/1TB

Last edited:

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 2.12.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 2.13.53 PM.png

Last edited:

jackqu7

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2021
I have found a workaround for brightness at least:

In keyboard preferences change touchbar to function keys

In keyboard shortcuts -> display, set brightness up/down to (eg) F6 and F7.

This seems to avoid the lag. You could do this for volume too but I think you'd need a third party tool for that.

Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I have found a workaround for brightness at least:

In keyboard preferences change touchbar to function keys

In keyboard shortcuts -> display, set brightness up/down to (eg) F6 and F7.

This seems to avoid the lag. You could do this for volume too but I think you'd need a third party tool for that.

Interesting why that would fix things since it's still using the Touchbar? I'm just using Control Center as a workaround but I'd like a real fix.

Yesterday I noticed there was a new version of the NTFS driver, and I haven't had the main issue since then

Strangely, the caps lock causing WindowServer to spike CPU is still happening.

jackqu7

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2021
Just to rule something out - I had "Logi Options" installed for a Logitech keyboard, tried removing that just in case but the problem has recurred. It seems like rebooting every day is the only solution at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: twanj

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Just to rule something out - I had "Logi Options" installed for a Logitech keyboard, tried removing that just in case but the problem has recurred. It seems like rebooting every day is the only solution at this point.

Someone mentioned Xcode beta somewhere else, but I only have Xcode (non beta).

homebrew too. not much else.

jackqu7

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2021
Yeah, me too. Also BetterTouchTool but the feeling from their forums is that it is not related, the dev says it's an OS issue.

I think the problem is people are changing things and then rebooting so it seems like it's fixed but it recurs after a while, which makes it difficult to pin down.

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
Yeah, me too. Also BetterTouchTool but the feeling from their forums is that it is not related, the dev says it's an OS issue.

I think the problem is people are changing things and then rebooting so it seems like it's fixed but it recurs after a while, which makes it difficult to pin down.

Hmm I don't have that or Logitech stuff so it's not that.

Any logs we can check?

twanj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Pompano Beach, FL
I think it's been mentioned before but logging out also stops WindowServer so not sure if that's faster than rebooting.

Going thru the above & see I had dropbox & virtualbox in LaunchAgents. Nothing else sketchy looking but always good to clear out the junk.

ryanmillercg

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Toronto, ON
I noticed with macos 11.5 and 11.5.1, sometimes when I'm watching a video (youtube in Chrome or Safari or Spotify) when I try to change the volume up or down the visual representation on screen of the volume changing will be very slow (a few seconds for each tick instead of instantly) and the cursor will beachball. The area above the touchbar will overheat.

I just had to hard reset and it's not doing it right now, but seems to do it after my MBP has been running a while.

Touching CapsLock repeatedly also triggers this.

Automatic graphics switching is on. Should I turn it off?
You're definitely on to something, but might I suggest eliminating Chrome as a possibility?

You can read up on a Chrome/WindowServer issue here: https://chromeisbad.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.