Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zinger314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
A close range shot
A mid-range shot

These are 11.5MP photos which were taken with the iPhone 4, using an app called ClearCam (which takes 6 raws and merges them together, i.e. not a simple upscale)

Admittingly the app isn't very iOS 4.0 friendly yet (no touch-to-focus, no multitasking) but for what it does it's pretty cool.

Not bad for a phone camera, ain't it? (and its photos can conveniently be uploaded via 3G to Dropbox!)

kimtyson

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
Wait, I'm confused. Were you talking about the stadium??? I thought this was about the camera. Huh?

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
While I don't have a pixel detector handy, I don't see this being that much better, if any than the iPhone 4 standard camera app.

I have been up almost 20 hours and wrote six articles today, so my eyes are admittedly tired. :)

Blonde Buddhist

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
While I don't have a pixel detector handy, I don't see this being that much better, if any than the iPhone 4 standard camera app.

I have been up almost 20 hours and wrote six articles today, so my eyes are admittedly tired. :)

Blonde Buddhist

The problem is that those pictures aren't the full quality pics. If you notice they are very small compared to the size listed in the tab bar on your browser when you view them. The raw images are 2904x3840 pixels which is about 11.2MP, but the OP hasn't given us a way to view the full size pics which would actually be bigger than most people's monitors.

snoboarder8232

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
The problem is that those pictures aren't the full quality pics. If you notice they are very small compared to the size listed in the tab bar on your browser when you view them. The raw images are 2904x3840 pixels which is about 11.2MP, but the OP hasn't given us a way to view the full size pics which would actually be bigger than most people's monitors.
Uhh I'm looking at them at full res.

JustinSaneV2

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010

Apparently you fail at clicking on the images to zoom to actual size.

JustinSaneV2

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I didn't fail at anything. My browser didn't show the zoom cursor and it didn't do anything when I clicked on it. Tried a new browser and I could zoom in to full res.

Okay, your browser fails at allowing to click to zoom the picture into full size. :D

Zinger314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I should mention that there is a slight catch: the images take about 30 seconds to enhance. You can wait after you've taken them though to start the enhancement.

And they take up a TON of memory.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Mine come out as 2.2megs?
Are you saying the 6 it uses + cleaned final is 11.5?

it will interpolate out an image double the size of the the stock camera. my 3Gs is 3mp native, so the images it pops out are double that. not earth shattering results, but for a phone, definitely & noticeably improved over not using it.

Here's a quick test shot of a book on our fireplace, with a simple table lamp next to it for lighting. Overall, poor setting for a hand-held shot but it ripped off 6 shots, and put them together so that the final product is dame better than I ever expected. Worth $2 for sure. It's now my standard camera app.

Full Image: This is the ClearCam Enhanced image. Not bad, reads okay and would certainly print okay.

original.jpg

However, now let's look at some screen captures from my phone as I zoom in. Original vs Enhanced.

original.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.