11.6" Macbook Air replace the iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aranince, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

So I bought an iPad because I thought it would be a good device to take to school and take notes. I have quickly learned that this is not a great way to take notes. As fast as I can type with a touch screen, I still type too slow to keep up with the teacher.

Here is the issue, I already have a 15" MBP(the first unibody model they released). I could use that for school, however the thing is too big and the battery life is terrible. I get like 1.5 hours with the screen on it's lowest setting.

So I'm really considering selling my iPad to buy the Macbook Air to be able to take to school. Thoughts?

2. shazzam macrumors regular

Isn't that you just want a MacBook Air? Bloothtooth keyboard on iPad?

3. toxic macrumors 68000

you could buy a keyboard for the iPad or a new battery for the Macbook Pro, both of which would cost you less.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If money is an issue, I would buy a keyboard for your iPad, if not the MBA seems like the best of both worlds for you.

5. aloshka macrumors 65816

same boat as you

I'm in the same boat as you. bought the 11 inch, sold the ipad, couldn't be happier!!! However, I do miss the games though. Everything else is perfect. Great to watch movies (and better support for mkv's etc), on the plane it's a real treat, since holding up the ipad for 2-3 hours is annoying anyway unless you have a special case. Anyways, jump for it, the price difference is not that great either (especially if you have the high-end ipad).

UPDATE: Oh, the only thing, you'll get tons of questions and "wow that's a computer" remarks. Kind of annoying, but I'm sure you already got that with the ipad with "oh, i really want one of those" comments.

6. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

Pen and paper is the recommend note taking method in class. Both for speed and retention.

7. aloshka macrumors 65816

Except I type 120wpm and write about 30-40. And university professors don't exactly wait for people to finish. A lot of classes require laptops as well. Get with the times, schools have started moving forward with technology a long time ago.

8. silentnite macrumors 6502a

silentnite

I went to buy and iPad but was stopped dead in my tracks after seeing the new Macbook air it made me think twice. It's a very nice & remarkably light Lap top. I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the extra $money, however you do get a face to face camera something I was looking for on the ipad.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have an iPad but I'm also thinking about the new Macbook Air. I don't think I'd get rid of the iPad. It's still an ideal device for light weight. I have the Apple case but I know there are cases out there that include a bluetooth keyboard. That would be a good option for note taking. I have a BT keyboard with my iPad but I rarely use it. Yes, it's too slow to keep up in a university lecture but I make do. When I got my iPad, it replaced my netbook. I haven't sold off the netbook yet but it's only a matter of time.

If I got the Macbook Air, I'd carry it more often than I carry my Macbook. I never carry my Macbook any more now that I have an iPad. I think I'd migrate to a new computing setup. Today I have Macbook and iPad. In the future I might have an iMac or Mac Mini, Macbook Air and iPad.

There are some more factors to consider about the MBA. It does not have firewire and even the largest model has only 256 gig of internal storage. As far as faster wake up time, I find that my Macbook sleeps and resumes well enough. It's far better than Windows or Linux but not as good as my iPad. If the new MBA is more like the iPad for suspend and resume, that's another plus for the MBA.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

This. Many people can type a lot faster than they can write by hand, so laptops are by far the better choice for many people. The few classes I didn't use my laptop in at college, I found I had far fewer notes, and they were less helpful to me in the end as well, because I didn't always end up writing down the stuff that would've been really helpful.

jW