11.6" MBP (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcman77, Dec 22, 2011.

?

Would you like a 11.6" MacBook Pro?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. No

106 vote(s)
    84.1%
  1. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Wish I could create a poll in this thread.

What do you guys think of an 11" MBP?

Personally I think that apple won't be making one any time soon but I would love one and wanted to know your opinions.

The footprint would be identical to the 11 MBA but have the thickness of a MBP.

No OD instead a weak GPU (that could also be the case with the 13" mbp)

And coming with Ivy bridge are 35w quad core processors. They are clocked fairly low @ 2.1ghz but 4 cores are better than 2 @ 3.6ghz IMO

A thicker case should justify the 35w processor since it is already in a MBP 13"

This will have a hefty price tag but it is a Pro version after all

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

No the screen would be too small for real editing for pro users.

3. Trav29 macrumors member

If you want that, then just go buy an Alienware M11x.

4. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not talking about creating a whole project on the 11", you do have to admit that it will have its place for people who mount it to an external and will certainly be a better performer over the 11" air.

@Trav29 No thanks

5. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I see what you mean it would appeal to me:)

6. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I think it's pointless and will never happen. The only reason to do so would be for mobile power and The MPB13 is small enough for that. For everyone else there's the 11" MBA.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

That would be like a Mac Mini with screen.

I don't see the benefit of going down to 11'' from the 13'' MBP. That one is already small. But there was a 12'' PowerBook in the past, so why not.

8. bill-p macrumors 65816

Even without OD, 11" is just not enough room for any extension past the CPU and motherboard stuffs. Even the 13" has no room, and barely some room with the OD removed.

35W CPU + dedicated GPU in 11" with the thickness of a Pro is also pushing it. The reason why the Alienware M11x is so thick is because it needs that much space for heat dissipation. The Alienware houses a 17W CPU coupled with a 25W GPU. That goes out to approximately 42W, just a few watts above 35.

So technically, I don't think such a thing is feasible.

Of course, as mentioned, the Alienware M11x fits your description to a T, plus it's about the same price as an Air.

9. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! an open minded member.

But the Air has an ultra low voltage CPU and cannot compare with a MBP + SSD which doesn't really make for a good desktop system (mounted to ACD).

The advantage over the 13 will be that it will fit into a small A4 sized bag along with some other papers carried to work. Including the performance of the MBP13 CPU.

Your right it will be a tight fit. Though it will defnitaly fit into a 13". Just take a look at the picture below, the OD is like 70% the size of the whole MB, There is enough room to fit a GPU. Note I stated a weak GPU for the Air, one that has a balance between Intel 4000 and a dedicated GPU.

Edit: MB = Mother Board

[​IMG]

10. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

And the point is ?

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You can rationalize all you want but unlike pioneering new products (like the unproven MBA line itself at the time), Any addition to that lineup will be based on anticipated consumer demand for a variation of those products.

I have nothing to base this on (other than innuendo) but I would say the 13" models are the most popular. Screen size is most likely the determining factor for the general user which is the bulk of Apple's clientele. That said, I'm guessing 11" is just a tad too small and I just don't see the demand for another version of it.

13. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I'd just get the Air for that size. If I'm going to be using more graphics intense tasks, I want a bigger screen.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Poll added, PM me if you want it to be changed.

The ODD takes more like 20%.

15. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would you pick an air over the pro 11"? The thiness will already be there, so will the weight. And it will be small enough light enough but still have that oomph power :p

Maybe the demand for the air is less due to its specs? Speed wise etc.

The point of an 11" is to be mobile but still adequate of power to Use on a bigger screen.

Instead of having a MacMini at home and a 11" Air for portable, it will be able to substitute both. Get my drift?

thank you. Looks more than 20%. How much space does a GPU require?

16. bill-p macrumors 65816

You forgot a second fan to cool the dedicated GPU, so it'll be the whole of the OD on the 13". Look at the picture again and see for yourself. The width is at most 35% of the board even though the height can be over half, but the OD is not a lot of space on the 13", or at least not as much as you are making it out to be. I'd safely say that it's about 26% of the whole computer at most.

Regardless if it's a weak or powerful GPU, it still needs its own heatsink and fan, and that'll just take up the remainder of the OD, giving a little bit more room for something else. Personally, I think this is just not possible on the 11" given the thickness of the Pro (1"). The only reason why the Alienware M11x can fit a GPU in is, again, because it has a thickness that allowed for another layer of heatsink + fan. On the Macbook, the thickness is not enough for such a design, so heatsink + fan + board all have to be on the same level, and that's just a lot to design.

If Apple can shrink the motherboard even further down (smaller than the 11" MBA), maybe. I know for sure that the whole board of the MBP 15" can fit easily inside a 11" chassis... provided you don't have to fit the battery in, that is.

17. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lets consider a 2nd cooling fan, in fact lets reference the 15" MBP to do a better comparison. That pic was regarding if a GPU will fit in a 13".

I agree with your 35% statement, lets even take it down to 30%. I still think its doable but as I said before, it will be a tight fit!

Looking at the picture below (MBP 15") it is a beast of a computer. Maxed out quad-core and great GPU. How much space do you think that is across the MB (mother board) without counting the OD, HDD, and Battery.

If, big if, we were to take lower spec parts, including battery (much smaller), GPU and removing the OD. How much space is left?

I would think (guessing) that a 11" is just a tad bigger than that motherboard space. But considering all the ports removed the motherboard should become about the size of a 13". Again removing the ports and OD, it might JUST fit.

Heat could be the killer factor here though I admit that you are correct.

[​IMG]

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Lets do some comparison.

A 2.5" HD is 10cm wide (the longest side, I mean). If we use that, the ODD appears to be around 14cm*10cm. The motherboard of the 15" MBP would be roughly 20cm*13cm.

11" MBA measures in at 30cm*19cm. Hence the MB of 15" MBP would fit in 11" enclosure but the battery would have to be noticeably smaller. mSATA SSD would save a lot space, though.

I.e. theoretically possible but very unlikely as it would not be very ideal.

19. Wattser93 macrumors regular

Heat is the biggest enemy.

The 11" MBA has to use a low voltage processor already as a compromise to control heat. And even as it is, it can overheat and drop down to single core operation when playing 1080P movies in clamshell mode. That's with a low voltage dual core.

Imagine how it would be with a dedicated GPU and non low voltage processor. It'd burn your lap in a hurry, and thermal far too often to be useful IMO.

20. Ccrew macrumors 68020

11" Retina screen on a MBP, given that it's similar to current and can be user upgraded to a decent mem spec and aftermarket SSD? I'd buy it. In a second.

I'm a heavy computer user, but I'm mainly using my machines either in home or work office where I'm connected to big monitors and AC/external keyboard/mouse. The 11" screen would be functional in a pinch, and virtually mitigated by the external connectivity where I use it the most.

Were the MBA user upgradeable to a decent spec (current MBP is 16gb/240gb SSD) I'd have been there instead.

21. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent post, that's a good way to estimate it. Note that the MB can be smaller once many ports will be gone allowing for a bigger bat and SSD.

About the heat, if Ivy bridge does indeed run on 50% for the same speed. That could be enough to cool a pro version down, even more if its a underclocked quad core.

I plan on using a setup very similar to this thus want the small form factor but still a little 'power house'. I'm not looking for 15" performance just not a fan of the 11" air line up. I would give up that thinness for more performance.

Its extermely thin and small as is, a little thicker + some 100 grams more won't be noticeable

Seems like many won't, except you, another guy that posted above and me :D

22. joshuaginter macrumors regular

Add me to the list of people who would grab an 11" Pro in a heartbeat. I have considered ditching the 11" portability and "sucking it up" in my efforts to carry the 15" Pro around (I see a 13" Pro as a complete waste of money; the computer can't decide what it wants to be — portable or powerhouse). I would love to have more power and would be totally content with an 11" screen with the same resolution as the 11" currently has.

23. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Being small (in this case being an 11in) will LIMIT the internals.
    Do you see Air having 3 USB ports like the 17in Pro?
    Do you see /34 Expresscard slot?
    Do you see Firewire 800 ports?

Being small means it limits the peripherals too.

And ofcourse, the ability to change the internals of the Pro (RAM, SSD).
    I dont think a 11in would be able to fit a HDD so it must have soldered RAM and SSD.

24. mcman77 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL @ your 13" pro comment! I think you nailed that one.

Please vote yes above cause we're losing holy! :eek:

Please see the above posts, especially hellhammers post. It sounds like your talking about an Air version, thats why it needs the RAM and SSD needs to be soldered.

If you cut the 15" down to 11", underclock, remove firewire etc. and leave fewer ports. Thats what a 11 Pro will be.