Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11,6" or 13,3"

• 11,6"

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • 13,3"

Votes: 73 43.2%

• Total voters

kiteflyer

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2005
I decided on the maxed out 13 incher

I really wanted the little 11 inch Air and actually ordered it but I called the next day and told them to switch it to the 13. I got to thinking since I want to use photoshop on it and do some video editing the faster processor and larger hard drive made more sense. I also liked having the built in SD card slot so I figured the little extra size and weight was worth the benefit. I also figure that when I travel by air I simply put it in the carry on bag with wheels so no big deal.
I do really like the size of the 11 inch model though. I remember years ago I bought a laptop from Sam's Club with approx. a 10 inch screen and it only weighed about 2 lbs! I only returned it because it cost so much money (over $2000, I believe). I believe dynamism.com still sells some great ultraportable pcs that are often only available in Japan. I bet the 11 inch Mac Air should be a big hit in Japan.

shaneomac.28

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
Took some thought but I chose the 11.6"

I just got back from a short week trip in Paris and travelling with this laptop was such a pleasure. For 1, due to its size you dont have to take it out of your duffel bag, a nice bonus if you are a frequent flyer. For 2, it weighs nothing. For 3, it is quite a zippy machine for all my daily computing needs on the fly.

I do wish it had a slot for SD card so I could download photos and videos a bit easier, however a usb to flash adapter fixes this problem.

And its small enough to fit into the hotel safe if one were to be staying, oh I dont know at the Four Seasons in Hawaii and had their previous laptop stolen, though I did get 5 free nights as a result, and for what they charge you could sleep in Buckingham Palace for less, one might be tempted to chuck their pc in the ocean just for the room discount :).

ufkdo

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Turkey
Even though I think real air is 11 inch model, I bought 13 inch one since I sometimes need to use this one as primary computer and 11 inch is just too small to be a primary.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
I bought the 11" ultimate and it will be serving as my main computer. I went back and forth between the 11.6 and the 13.3, but decided on the 11 due to the increase amount of portability. I have a 13" MB now, and while I like it, it's footprint is often large when i am studying at coffee shops or in class on the tiny lecture hall desks.

I know you trade a lot for the 11.6, but once you buy and use it, it is truly amazing. It is plenty fast for everything I do (web, research, college assignments, forums) yet is EXTREMELY portable. Being that I am on the go ALL the time, I can truly whip this small little laptop out anywhere.

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
13" Air Ultimate replacing my Macbook and my old Gateway laptops. I'm now down to 2 active machines. My Macbook pro and this.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I bought the fully loaded 13.3. I'm planning an extended trip to Maui (1 year) and want to do some photo editing in Aperture3. I rationalized the performance/portability ratio and feel the ultimate 13.3 will do what I need. I have played with Aperture3 during the return period and have had no issues. I'm feeling good about my decision.:D

parkiebear

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2010
Dallas
Bought the MBA 13" to replace my Windows machine; I did this last year with the MBP, but couldn't adapt to Word for Mac, so gave the MBP to my wife and returned to Windows. But with the MBA announce, coupled with the new Word edition, decided to try it again.

13" over 11" for one primary reason: lack of SD slot. I take a lot of pictures, and the adapter is simply one more thing to keep track of.

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
11.6 weighing in at just over a kilo I can (and do) hand carry it around all day every day

Got i7 hacintosh for heavy lifting, the MBA was always going to be secondary machine for work call outs.

I ignored the original MBA and wouldnt have bought one if 13.3" had remained only option so the release of the 11.6 was good news for me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.