11" Air or 13" Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kirixis, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Kirixis macrumors member

Kirixis

I'm sure there are tons of 11" V 13" threads but I wanted a bit more personalized opinions. I'm writing this on a 15" Acer with an i5, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, 1Gb VRAM - a big jump from the MBA or even a lower end MBP.

I want an ultra portable and the MBA was an obvious choice compared to ultrabooks. The problem is I'm not sure about the screen size...

11"
    Pros
    -Sexy Body
    -Smaller
    -Sexier trackpad
    Cons
    -Less battery
    -Smaller Screen
    -Less HDD and/or CPU performance
    -Vertical Scrolling
    -Sexy but unusual aspect ratio

13"
    Pros
    -More Powerful
    -Huge battery life
    -Higher resolution
    -Larger screen

cons
    -Square shape
    -Larger

I guess in an ultra portable size does matter but there has to be a point where I'm just going crazy...

If anyone has any experience please share!!

2. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

This topic has already discussed in "13 ticks more boxes but still want the 11" thread

3. GWIM2 macrumors member

13" every time

I use my MBA 13 as a replacement for a larger Dell, and the screen quality more than makes up for the step down in screen size.

I did a direct comparison on the bench in the local Apple Store before deciding that the 11" was really too small for me to use comfortably, and the extra length and width of the 13" is more than compensated for by the thinness of the design and lack of weight compared to the brick it replaced.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

The 13in resolution is probably more comparable to your current computer's (perhaps better).

Just go use them both and see which one you like better.

I switched after 6 months from the 11in to the 13in... but I still miss the 11in and am considering going back come this refresh (or next refresh).

EDIT- The battery life is super awesome compared to the 11in. 11in was 3.5-4.5 and the 13in I get about 6-7. That's a big factor keeping me from going back to the 11in

5. hbtd macrumors newbie

Based on your Pros/Cons you already have a winner... the 13''. But it does depend on how you will use it. For a primarily desktop based computer doing some more demanding apps, the 13'' is the way to go. If it's mainly a portable doing surfing, email, etc, the 11'' is fine.

I have both the 11'' and 13'' MBAs and use the 11'' as a primary machine. I love the size and portability. The battery life is a major issue as some folks have noted and is screen real estate. Other than that the 11'' is a great laptop.

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

7. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Join the club! :)

8. Kirixis, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Kirixis thread starter macrumors member

Kirixis

Replies!!

@Gwim2:
    I'm typing on a 15.1 Acer TimelineX - It's thin maybe 3.5 centimeters in thickness and that's fine for me. What I want to minimize is the width and height in my bag as I have a separated family. In regards to width and height, the 13 is a maybe 2" difference (My bezel is around 2cm) but the square design is a little bit of a deal breaker because my bag is wide but not deep.

I have an iPad 3 and I take that EVERYWHERE because it's about A4 sized and it's a neat fit. It's also a little more acceptable to pull it out in class (Yr 10, Australia). Maybe I'm just going super nuts trying to buy an 11" and use my iPad? :confused:

I also have a 21.6" 1080p television I have hooked up to my Xbox so I'd definitely dock at home.

@Kyle:
    My Acer is using a 720p screen and it's not all that bad... I doubt I'd notice the resolution difference because of the high PPI on a MBA. Having said that, I do like the idea of a 16:9 resolution because I do watch a considerable amount of HD content - 16:9.

In regards to battery, I carry a charger for my iPad and Desire HD. For the iPad, it's just in case I forget to charge it or something. The Desire is another story with sub-par battery to begin with and poor management software... :(

@iAppl3:
    I only have around $1400 to spend because I'm a student :) If I could buy two devices I would buy another windows tower maybe? Having the best of both worlds can't hurt can it? :D

9. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

10. Kirixis thread starter macrumors member

Kirixis

That's not very helpful :(

Judging by your sig, you're a power user... with an 11" MBA

11. Sid-R macrumors member

Sid-R

I ve been hearing how 13 out performs 11 but with ultimate configuration ... both have 1.8 GHz core i7 with 4 GB ram .. shdnt the performance be the same.. or am i missing something?

12. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Well, I would of got the 13" but I didn't want to spend that much for one but I suggest get the 13"

13. Surely Guest

Surely

11" all the way.

I make up for it with girth.

14. glen e macrumors 68030

A 13 if you're buying it as an only computer....

An 11 if it's your grab and go machine

Two diff animals and why they make both.....

15. Surely, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012

Surely Guest

Surely

My 11" is my only computer. I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

When I need more screen real estate, I just hook it up to my 24" monitor.

16. dkersten macrumors 6502a

If the Air will be your only computer, buy the 13in. If you have another computer you will use like a desktop, go with the 11in.

I'm going to buy an Air, and it will most likely be an 11in because I have a custom built Windows desktop and will be getting a Mini to do some iOS development. The Air will be brought to classes and anything that I do on it will be synced with either my PC or Mini or both by either Dropbox, iCloud, or TeamViewer. I'll also be able to control either computer remotely through TeamViewer.

If you have a similar situation, definitely get the 11in, if not go for the 13in.

17. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Personally, I'd go with the 11" Air because I feel like it would be easier to carry around everywhere, and I already have a 15 " MBP (awful to take anywhere)...but the way you distribute your pros and cons seems to indicate that the 13" might work better for you. If you need another pro, the 13" has and SD card slot.

18. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I use an 11" MBA for my everyday machine, my 13" MBP is my work machine, by which I mean, it is my machine that I work hard on at home if I need to get a lot done.

My MBA is the machine I use for majority of things though, it stores my music and pictures for my iOS devices, and I just ordered the 240GB SSD Sata3 from OWC to up my storage.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I certainly do! Being Asian and all! :p

20. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Are you saying this because of the screen size? (if so, what if he has an external monitor?) or because of the processing power?

21. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

One of my relatives wasn't using her 13" MacBook Air, so I cleaned it up and installed Lion. I really wish she had gotten the 11", but that's just me. The 13" is just thin - at this size, why not just get something like the 13" Pro? The 11", on the other hand, is notably smaller in not just vertical depth but also in footprint. Makes more sense as an "ultra portable" computer.

That being said, I really don't like the squished function keys on the 11" - it feels like I'm pushing buttons on the tape deck of an old car.

22. Kirixis thread starter macrumors member

Kirixis

I've thought about the pro but they're on par with each other though the SSD on the Air does make every day work faster apparently. I don't think there's a huge difference in specs in terms of under the hood between the Airs so I'm not concerned either way.

Call me cray-cray but I don't think it'd be that bad to use an 11" as my main computer. I have my television to dock it like I said.

23. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I would say go for the 11". While it's not as capable as the 13", it's friggin tiny and looks so cute! It's just the epitome of being an "ultra book."

24. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Definitely go with the 11". You want an Air, get an Air lol. The 11" is beautiful and just so amazingly portable; whereas, with the 13" you sacrifice a slight bit due to the larger size and mild bump in added weight.

If you'll be just carting it around the house maybe the 13" is a good call. Personally, though, I would love having that 11" as a go to machine with me at all times without putting too much stress on my shoulder from carrying it.

25. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

This is my dilemma. I work from home and rarely leave the house, so carting my laptop around the house is all I'd do (and hooking it up to an external monitor most of the time). That's why the 13" makes more sense in my case. Still, for some reason, the tiny footprint of the 11" keeps me wanting it!