Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
There is a noticable hum/buzz/high pitched whine coming from the mag safe connector when the my 11" MBA is connected to power. It is much more noticeable when the system is off/sleep/lid is closed. Should I be concerned?

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
updat: I just unplugged the MBA, and I can hear a buzz coming from the white AC adapter itself as well.

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
Could it be the CPU whining? Does it go away while doing stuff like scrolling, loading programs, and other CPU users.

Moodikar

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Have you tried plugging in with the extended cable (USA plugs not European). The cable has a u-ground (third prong) that is grounded. The 2 prong version obviously doesn't.

This may help if there is a power issue.

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
My ground is actually not working in the outlet I've got it plugged in. I will have to check tonight when I get home to confirm if that's the cause of the buzzing.

There is no CPU buzz from scrolling. I used to have that with my original MacBook and it was annoying. This buzzing is definitely coming from the magsafe/power adapter.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
The fan is right next to the power connector, are you sure thats not what you're hearing?

Munch

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
It's not the fan, although I thought it was on the other side of the laptop until you mentioned it. Even with the case closed, you can hear a noise so it is coming from the power supply.

I plugged it into what I think was a properly grounded plug but I still hear a whine from the actual adapter, and I think the mag safe as well.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

On another topic, the magsafe magnet is too strong. If someone trips over the cord, I am positive my laptop will go flying because of the design of the connector. I can pull the cord and my laptop is dragged.

aberrero

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
Ya, the magsafe is way too tight on there, totally different than the one on the MBP/MB.

Also, the fact that it is at a 90 degree angle makes it kind of awkward. I don't know why they did it like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.