11" buzzing when on A/C

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Munch, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Munch macrumors member

There is a noticable hum/buzz/high pitched whine coming from the mag safe connector when the my 11" MBA is connected to power. It is much more noticeable when the system is off/sleep/lid is closed. Should I be concerned?

2. Munch thread starter macrumors member

updat: I just unplugged the MBA, and I can hear a buzz coming from the white AC adapter itself as well.

3. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Could it be the CPU whining? Does it go away while doing stuff like scrolling, loading programs, and other CPU users.

4. aberrero macrumors 6502a

5. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Oh no~ WTH is Apple doing? Please don't!!!! please~ I will be very disappointed :(

6. Moodikar macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Have you tried plugging in with the extended cable (USA plugs not European). The cable has a u-ground (third prong) that is grounded. The 2 prong version obviously doesn't.

This may help if there is a power issue.

7. Munch thread starter macrumors member

My ground is actually not working in the outlet I've got it plugged in. I will have to check tonight when I get home to confirm if that's the cause of the buzzing.

There is no CPU buzz from scrolling. I used to have that with my original MacBook and it was annoying. This buzzing is definitely coming from the magsafe/power adapter.

8. aberrero macrumors 6502a

The fan is right next to the power connector, are you sure thats not what you're hearing?

9. Munch thread starter macrumors member

It's not the fan, although I thought it was on the other side of the laptop until you mentioned it. Even with the case closed, you can hear a noise so it is coming from the power supply.

I plugged it into what I think was a properly grounded plug but I still hear a whine from the actual adapter, and I think the mag safe as well.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

On another topic, the magsafe magnet is too strong. If someone trips over the cord, I am positive my laptop will go flying because of the design of the connector. I can pull the cord and my laptop is dragged.

10. aberrero macrumors 6502a

Ya, the magsafe is way too tight on there, totally different than the one on the MBP/MB.

Also, the fact that it is at a 90 degree angle makes it kind of awkward. I don't know why they did it like this.

11. GeekLawyer macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Yeah, I wouldn't mess around with that. I'd take it back for a replacement.