11" i5/i7 - heat and fan issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jaguar68, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jaguar68 macrumors newbie

In the first couple weeks, there was a lot of discussion in the threads about heat & fan issues with the i7, and a number of people who opted for a seemingly cooler and quieter i5. I haven't seen much discussion on this recently. I'm just wondering what peoples views are now or if they have changed at all after a few more additional weeks of use - is there really a heat/fan issue with i7 as compared to i5? Or perhaps the i7's have "calmed down" after a little more use?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I've been using my 11" i7 with no issues for 3.5 weeks now. Sure if you are running something intensive the fan will speed up, but it's nothing out of the ordinary. If you were holding back on getting a MacBook Air because of heat concerns, I'd suggest just going ahead and getting one.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I was actualy going to start a thread about this too.

Now a month after release what is the concenceous?

I dare to guess its a non issue for most.

In the 13" the i7 runs 5-10 degrees warmer and seems to have no big effect on battery life. Performance wise both are about the same, i7's extra power isn't noticed at all doing normal tasks, for heavy processing it's shaving off seconds, not worth it IMO.

The 11" can get damn warm with the i7 and the battery life does take a hit, but you're getting 25% more power too, for some it's worth it and needed for their work.

5. jblock macrumors regular

I had both running side by side for a couple of weeks, now I just have the 11 i7. My unscientific findings were that they ran about the same temperature for most of the tasks I do (Safari, iTunes, Mail, Calendar, Pages, etc) at about 48 C to 60 C. The i7 often would run a couple of degrees cooler. Never heard the fans with either unless it was backing up. Under load the i7 would get hotter faster but would also cool down faster as well once the task was done, but was never hotter than the i5.

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Did you notice much difference in speed doing day to day activities or much loss in battery life?

7. jblock macrumors regular

When they are side by side you can notice the speed difference, even in just opening apps. Having used both I can tell it is slightly faster but since I don't do much that is intensive I could have gotten by with the i5 and never noticed. It's only because I use the i7 that I can tell a very slight difference in some tasks.

As far as the battery life, I'm sorry to say I've never used the Air for more than an hour or so at a time on the battery so I'm no help on that end.

8. calvol macrumors 6502a

My friend just got an i7 13", and after a few minutes of browsing I noticed the bottom was warm, not hot. He didn't have iStat installed, so I couldn't see the cpu temp. Definitely not as cool as my 2010 13.

9. G2244 macrumors member

G2244

Will gaming cause long term damage to my Air?

I have a new 11" i5/4Gb. For the first week I was on vacation and didn't run anything too intensive so I never heard the fan. Now that I am back to my routine I am running CounterStrike Source on Steam. Less than a few minutes of play and the fan kicks in. I can really feel the heat from the bottom of this little sucker. I am not worried about battery life since it is usually plugged in when I play.

So, the game plays great. However, I am wondering if pushing it for long periods of gaming is going to cause problems. Any thoughts?

10. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

No, gaming on the Air wil be fine. Remember this is still intel hardware/chipsets. They were designed to run at these temperatures.

Maybe if you run a CPU/GPU benchmark continuously for a few months without shutting down the chance something could burn out is so minimal, it's not even worth mentioning. Use your computer normally, everything should work as intended.

11. lewdvig macrumors 65816

My 11" i5 is dead quiet and cool as a cucumber. I hate heat.

IMO skip the i7. A bit more cache does not make a dual core chip worthy of the i7 moniker.

12. tombubi macrumors regular

I have an i5/4g. I have noticed any problem with heat. Not sure about i7 though.

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Have my 2011 11in MBA but never had a heat issue before...

14. QuaziModo macrumors member

11" Ultimate

No heat issues at all. Been running for an hour and is still cool to touch.

If you are keeping it for 3 years like I generally do then i7 is the way to go I suggest :)

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I bought a 11-inch ultimate when they were first released. I returned it after a little bit, and I'm now looking to invest in it for good this time.

It seems the heat issues varies for people? I will probably just get a i5 this time as the minor power boost isn't really a big concern for me, and cooler is always better.