11 in. 2011(128gb) vs 2012(64gb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by maatae, Aug 27, 2012.

1. maatae macrumors newbie

I'm a grad student and looking for something portable to work on. Ill be mostly using it for word docs, browsing, some spreadsheets? i do have a main PC so I'll probably keep my music and movies on there. so I was wondering what you guys thought?

do you think 64 gbs is worth the sacrifice for the current gen air?

any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. chacolo macrumors member

I would go for a 2012 model. I use to have a 2009 MBP for my work with a 80 Gb SSD. It was more than enough for everything (still had 30 Go free).
    If you would like to put 720p movies or your music collection, the answer would be different.

3. Calot macrumors regular

He can get a USB 3.0 500GB external HDD for that, and it would be a great improvement over last year's 2.0

4. Luigi3 macrumors member

Go with 2012. You can upgrade your SSD if you want.

5. Jhowland macrumors member

Look at it this way, if you get the 2011 model then you have 128gb of internal storage and if you want to expand that you have to get either overpriced thunderbolt storage or slow USB 2.0 storage.

If you get the 2012 model then you have 64gb of internal storage and if you want to expand you have the two aforementioned options as well as USB 3.0 which is fast and affordable.

I say go with the 2012.

6. stchman macrumors 6502a

For the 2012 model, the 64GB SSD can be upgraded to 128GB for $100.

Get the 2012 MBA with a 128GB SSD.

7. erockadus macrumors newbie

newer is always better

especially when it comes to laptops

8. blanco.juanfeli macrumors newbie

Get the 2012 with 128GB, it's only a 100 dollar upgrade... Not trying to be rude, but let me tell you that if you are not able to pay those extra 100 dollars, maybe you should reconsider spending $1,000+ dollars on a laptop!

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My $0.02

Local storage is always been a low priority issue for me picking up a notebook. Why sweat about it I say, since there are tons of (easily add-able) storage on my LAN I can get to. Lots of local (built-in, no add-ons or USB3 or whatever) is important if you often take a few movies on the road with u to watch, IMO.

So given those two choices, and assuming no other choice or $, I say get the faster machine.

10. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

I say go with last years. Neither are powerhouses and for what you're going to use it for, just get the extra storage. BTW...I've got a mint 11" 2011 Air for sale. :) Hint hint.

11. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

And then, you should not be buying a $1100 laptop if you can't afford additional $100 for something else, and in a similar fashion you go up and up on the ladder until you get into the range of the 15" rMBP. I do not agree with your argument, do you mean that if my budget for a new computer was $1000 tops I should buy a windows/intel laptop instead of apple? I quite dislike it when someone says "well, if you can't afford to spend additional $XXX you shouldn't be buying this or that device". Not trying to be rude but this is a sign of snobbery.

12. Rangomango macrumors member

I was actually in the exact same situation. I have a second computer that is my primary computer as well. I decided to go with the 2012, for reasons stated above, it's realy enough space to host an OS and do the tasks you mentioned.

The reason I didn't pay the extra $100 for the 128gb storage is because I got a good deal on the base model. Otherwise, I think it may be worth it to upgrade for $100, just incase. But 64gb is definitely enough for just the mac os.

13. Luigi3 macrumors member

Gosh,you can't understand that for some people MBA 11' 64 GB is expensive itself and this is maximum option that someone can handle. Yeah, you're right, 100$ is affordable, but in US you can afford a few bucks for your laptop over your limit budget. In EU macs are expensive as hell.

So, he asked about 128 in 2011 and 64 in 2012. Some people just don't have money/option to buy 128 2012.

14. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Always buy the model you can afford. In this case the current MBA runs much cooler. My rMBP runs cooler that the air doing exact tasks.

15. blanco.juanfeli, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

blanco.juanfeli macrumors newbie

I'm sorry! I wasn't trying to be rude at any time, in fact I was just trying to help. To be honest I'm kind of in the same situation as you are, I don't live in the US, so Mac computer (actually almost any computer) is fairly expensive, and I was planning to buy a 13' baseline Macbook Air but I wasn't not sure if I sould go with the memory(8gb) upgrade. Then one of my friends told me that if I was already spending so much money on a computer I should try to save up a few more dollars to get the best I can, so that it can last an extra year or two.

And again, I was just trying to help, and I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but that same comment made me realize that somehow my friend was right about getting the best you can get... I guess it isn't the same scenario.

BTW: I have been saving for about a year now, and I will wait until Black Friday, to get it at about the sam price as the base line! If you don't need it inmediatly, you could wait until then...

16. Luigi3 macrumors member

Dude, chill... :p You're right, but after reading xxx post about: "if you're going to buy air 13, better save 1000$ for retina" this is kinda annoying.

17. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

If you can get it MUCH cheaper, go for the 2011. Otherwise, get the 2012.

I got myself a 2011 (the highest specs) 'cause I found it at 830 euros brand new. I have to say it is a great machine, it never let me down in my work.