11 inch air vs 13 inch air for travel/work

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickftw8686, Mar 9, 2012.

1. nickftw8686 macrumors regular

So I currently run a hp laptop as my desktop hooked up to a 27 inch monitor and I am looking for a good laptop to travel with. I was looking at either the 11 inch air with 4gb of ram and 128gb ssd or the 13 inch air 4gb of ram 128gb ssd.

I am not trying to game or anything on it, just want to be able to travel, watch movies, do some work, and have a nice long battery life. Also how is the screen size for doing work and watching movies on the 11 inch vs the 13 inch ?

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's smaller. Not really sure what you want us to tell you here. Your best bet is to find a store and compare the two sizes for yourself to see what will work best for you.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Get the 11 inch model. When you're at home you can have it hooked up to a monitor for intensive work. Otherwise, it will be a portable machine around the house. When you travel the lightweight is important and it easy to get through the airport.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I looked at the 11" but found the screen was just too small for me..I went for the 13". It's really not that much bigger and IMO the extra little bit of real-estate makes a big difference.

5. jjhoekstra macrumors regular

The 11" has a shorter battery life (5 vs 7 hours) which is uncool when flying. Otherwise it is perfect for travel.

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

For movies and just general browsing, the 11 inch does just fine...but once you try to do some real work on it - good luck. You will be hunched over squinting, or struggling to manage your spaces/screen real estate. Not very favorable for that use. I've owned both but stuck with the 13".

7. nickftw8686 thread starter macrumors regular

I also have a 60gb ssd I could put into a 13 inch pro if that would be a better buy for the money?