11 inch gamers!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kenrik, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Kenrik macrumors 6502

http://www.onlive.com

Try this out.. it works great on my computer. I was just playing Batman AA @ max settings on my 1.4ghz..

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

People who write essays on stamps!

3. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

4. Kenrik thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah.. try it.

5. demonguard macrumors newbie

I just tried this on my windows PC (MBA isn't here yet) because I always assumed onlive was DOA. However, I was pleasantly surprised. There's enough input lag that I wouldn't use it for any serious twitch FPS, and enough compression that I wouldn't play a fast paced game, but it's exactly what the doctor ordered for some more casual games. Not only does this effectively ignore requirements, the games don't use any of your precious SSD space.

6. Kenrik thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly.. this is not for twitch gaming but for a single player game it works great. Plus you get games that are not on the Mac or even the PC.

7. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

meh, im sure the 11" base can max every game ever made before 2006 with 2x aa. as for onlive, its ridicuolous it should be a monthly fee. I would never pay money directly for a game that not saved on my actual computer. Besides steam is very well established and has relevant pricing. I was going to try onlive for mafia 2, but 49.99? I don't see onlive surviving another few years with this small catalog of games.

8. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I'm talking about the size of the machine.

9. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

Heh, I really should have got that joke. Anyway, waiting for my air and inspired by thus post, tried onlive on my Thinkpad x100e. Turns out you can rent some games but only for 3 or 5 days:(. It lagged like hell, probaly because wifi is still in beta or maybe because this netbook really cant handle hd video. Also disappointing was the small amout of games :(

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ooh the only thing that'll let you down while gaming on the air is the processor. Perhaps the graphics card too, but I don't know what the graphics card on the air is like compared to on the MBPs.

11. foiden macrumors 6502a

Both Macbook Airs have much better Graphics cards than the 9400M, which was the previous MBP integrated cards. It is said to be 2-3 times faster, and by what people are claiming, so far, it seems to be true.

The processor the slowest part, but the processor and memory architecture (of at least the 1.6 and up processors) is faster than the Gateway 6831fx. If only because that machine was pretty much built to handle Crysis at medium settings. No it's not a gaming machine, but it is surprising in its ability to play demanding games. Something that really bodes well for online RPGs, MMOs, Web games and the like. Since most of those generally are much lower in resource.

The 320M, for a shared memory card, seems to be quite the screamer.

12. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

That Onlive is amazing!
    I never thought it could work, but it does, and it will only get better in time.
    Of course this will also be the future of gaming, since nobody needs a console anymore, and there can't be any piracy on that platform.
    Now they just need to sort out the pricing. Monthly subscription fees are obviously the way forward, but not available. Yet!

13. Kenrik thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here... I thought there would be massive input latency but there is not. As broadband speeds expand and they have more data centers closer to people it will only get better.

Steam was not very popular when it first came out... I remember the massive outcry from gamers. Now millions of people use it. I love the Steam holiday sales!

14. foiden macrumors 6502a

I think people now have the concept of the idea of Steam and the way it's real easy to backup your data nowadays, and/or recover the files. Then, of course, there's the relative ease for updates, etc.

I'm noticing a big trend of customers changing their tune about Digital format distribution. It's starting to catch on more and more.