11 inch MBA or 13 inch Dell XPS???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whatupg1, Oct 19, 2012.

1. whatupg1 macrumors newbie

Ok...Here's my dilemma

I work in the IT field and want to get an ultra book to do service work because they are so light weight. However I need to use Windoze a lot.

I would love to get a 11 inch MBA and run Windoze in a Virtual Machine but I think I would need at least 8GB to have it run smoothly.

I have a couple hundred dollars in gift cards for BestBuy however BestBuy will not special order a 8GB MBA so my only option if I want to use my gift cards would be to go with the 4GB Ram and 128 GB HD MBA. I guess I could always run Windoze in Bootcamp if I had too.

My other thought is to just get the Dell 13 inch XPS 4GB Ram 128GB HD which BestBuy currently has on sale for $899 I would be gaining a little a little bit bigger screen and it would be a little cheaper.

I guess I'm hoping to hear some feedback and thoughts from people that have a MBA and are also running Windoze 7 whether it's in a virtual machine or bootcamp and how well it performs with the 4GB of Ram on the MBA or if you have used or know someone that has used a 13 inch Dell XPS and if their happy with it.

Thanks in advance for all your input...

2. FallenRook macrumors member

If you want to get a MBA with 8GB RAM, you can just sell your Best Buy gift cards for ~95% of their value.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

The XPS Ultrabook is a really sleek and sharp machine. I've heard good things about it from the 1-2 people I know that has it. I'd be all for it at that price.