11" loose hinge?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Caris, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Is your 11" hinge too loose?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

Hi, I've just bought an 11" air today and I'm worried that my hinge is too loose. It doesn't seem to be holding it's angle very well and my old pro was definitely stiffer.

Has anyone else had this issue?

2. MacVibe macrumors regular

If it doesn't hold the angle you have set then it is defective. My MBP has a floppy hinge after a couple of years of use and it seems pretty common with these machines, but a new one should absolutely hold the angle you have set.

I wish Apple would tighten these things for free after warranty.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My daughter brought her out of warranty 2009 Air into a Apple store to check the hinges and they tightened them for free.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The hinges on the Air's definitely have more play in them versus the pro models. That being said, it shouldn't be moving or falling unless you are typing really hard or bumping it. Definitely exchange it if you feel it is not satisfactory.

5. outlawarth macrumors regular

I only seem to have one issue, and I don't even know if this is a problem. When the screen is open at about 110 degrees and I lift my MBA the screen opens all the way to max.

Is this normal? Maybe it's my OCD.

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

My wife's does that when you lift the machine up. I think it is due to how light the machine is overall.

7. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

So will Apple tighten it for you for free if you do bring it in to the store?

8. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

They would have to replace the whole screen as well. The hinge cannot be tightened on its own. My hinge was loose and that's what happened after I asked for the problem to be rectified.