11" MBA Bezel

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hammie, May 25, 2014.

1. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Is it just me or does the 11" MBA bezel remind anyone of the laptop bezels form the 80's and 90's?

I was at the Apple Store last night wasting time while my wife shopped and started playing around with the 11" and comparing it to the 13". My kids like the size of the 11" so with the refurbs at the prices right now, I was maybe thinking "why not." But now, I'm not sure. The kids would probably never notice, but I do comping from the rMBP.

Although the 11" is nice and small, that big aluminum bezel is a HUGE turn off, IMO. I have used my wife's 13" MBA and never took issue with the aluminum bezel, but the smaller screen just makes it look really big in comparison. Without getting the calipers out, the 11" and 13" bezel appeared to be the same size.

Is it just me or has anyone else felt this way?

Has anyone tried to cover the bezel up with black paint or tape or something else?

Sorry for the babbling. :D

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I had a 2011 13" MBA and switched to a 2013 11" MBA that I like even more. Yeah, the bezel is wide, but so what? I am interested in what's on the screen, not the frame around it.

If you like everything else about the 11" model, then this seems like a pretty silly reason not to get one. It's a computer, not a fashion statement. :)

3. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

I've definitely noticed the bezel. I think it looks larger because of the screen size difference. After the first few times of seeing it I thought to myself "Why couldn't they have squeezed a slightly larger screen in there".

The black paint/tape would more than likely make it look god awful :p

4. Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

I know it is not a fashion statement. It just looked a little odd.

I'm sure one would get used to the bezel. It was just a slight distraction the first time I really spent any time with the 11".

5. abta1 macrumors 6502

The bezel is similar to MBPs that were configured with the matte screen. I always liked the black bezel that came with the regular screens better but the bezel on my 11" isn't a bother for me.

6. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

The bezel needs to be made smaller. It is old school and looks terrible.

7. Hammie, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

Hammie thread starter macrumors 65816

Hammie

It's not the color so much as the thickness, or appeared thickness relative to screen size.

I have a 2010 17" MBP with matte screen and aluminum bezel. The color never bothered me on that laptop.

UPDATE: I just found a bezel skin for the MacBook Air...

http://www.precioustore.com/air-11-black.html

8. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I used to think the same about my 13" Air, but then I realized there are considerations re power requirements for the screen, sufficient battery size, the ultra-thin wedge-shaped design, overall weight, and considering the thinness of the lid, minimum lid rigidity requirements to prevent cracking of the screen, and I've come to the realization those bezels are there for a solid reason. Now I don't even notice them anymore.

As newer components and materials become available, I suspect Jony will likely shrink these bezels considerably in future Airs.

9. Cherimoya macrumors member

I've got one of those on my 11" MBA - highly recommended.

10. yosemit macrumors regular

Wait for the 12" rMBA. That one should have a smaller bezel.

IMO it's for technical reasons to have relatively large bezel for current 11" MBA. The keyboard and battery need the space, but the screen was decided to be 11.6" in 2010 to maintain cost and battery time.

11. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

Ya, I own a 11 inch air and I love it. I just can't sugar coat the silly bezel. Still love it though. I will be first in line to get the 12.

12. molala macrumors 6502a

I think it's something you get used to. Personally, I like the aluminum bezel on the MBA 11, reminds me of the 2001-2005 Powerbook series.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent post, which makes complete sense.

To the OP, I have the 11" MBA and I have to say that I was so delighted with its power, portability, and (in the 2013 model) battery life that I never even noticed the bezel…...