11" MBA for Wife 2GB or 4GB for Xmas

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wicked1, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

She does email, web browsing, and MS Office, but wondering if I should just get the 4GB model. I assume 2GB is ok but to those who have the 11" is the 4GB worth it?

I am getting the 128GB with 2 or 4GB?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It really depends on how much email, what kind of websites and the complexity and number of Office documents she uses. If she routinely has a large number of browser tabs open, visiting sites with Flash content, has multiple large Office documents open simultaneously, etc., she could easily max out 2GB. It really depends on her typical use. She may be fine with 2GB, but if it were me, I'd go with 4GB.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Since the RAM isn't upgradable, I would go with the max.

4. Kyllle macrumors 6502

4GB. It will make everything a bit smoother, and just ensure you have less problems.
    Additionally, it will be easier to sell in the future when she wants a new computer.

5. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I've owned three MBAs since the 2010 upgrade.
    I cant undoubtedly say that you will need the 4GB eventually. The OS itself eats up about more than half of that 2GB.
    Why dish out 1k for a laptop if you will only be able to use it at half its potential?

6. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

A co-worker of mine told me she wants a MacBook Air and I told her that being that she is going to buy a Mac anyway, she should spend a few hundred dollars more and the 4 GB RAM/128 Flash storage model.

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Kinda what I thought, why be stingy on 2GB not only bc going forward the more ram the merrier, but resale down the road.

Funny how Apple still sells the 2Gb refubs for how much they do, but I guess people will buy them no matter what.

Thanks All

Off to a 11" 4Gb Refurb if they are in stock :)

8. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I got one last week, 2010 11" base for €649 (it's $699 in the US). That's not a bad price for an air... Even if it is 2GB. It's 60% of what you pay for the cheapest one with 4GB, so almost half the price.

9. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

It's all about your needs really. If I were in need of a MBA right now and strapped for cash, the I would have definitely taken that deal. Considering the excellence of Apple's software and engineering it's hard to find yourself disappointed.

However your price comparison is not completely fair as the new 2011 revision has a much faster processor.

10. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I would recommend 4GB. If she intends on keeping it for a few years, that extra bit of RAM will help down the line (you can't upgrade it yourself later).

11. Akack macrumors 6502a

12. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

4gb its pretty much a non-brainer and pretty cheap in comparison to most upgrades apple offers, especially if she wants to keep it for a couple of years as it can't be upgraded by yourself later.

13. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

14. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I've got the base model and it's great for me, I've not had any slow downs due to lots of browser tabs being open or anything like that. I was looking to buy the 4GB/128GB model but was offered a base model (new, boxed, still wrapped in plastic) for £600, so couldn't turn it down. For what your wife will be using it for it sounds like 2GB would be enough.

15. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Sorry I didn't know you were specifically referring to the 2011 model. I don't think there's much point in going for a fast CPU though with the 2GB RAM (I think that will limit me more in the future than the CPU speed ever will). The RAM could make the difference between something working or not working, the CPU difference only makes it faster. So if I'd go for the new model I would upgrade the RAM as well, bringing the price to nearly double.

I totally agree that the 2011 refurbs aren't very interestingly priced though.

For me it worked because I don't believe in laptops as a main PC, I just hate the constant plugging/unplugging so I already have a very powerful Mini at home. So in that case the 2GB is manageable. And I prefer not spending too much on a portable in case of loss or damage due to carrying it around all the time.

16. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

4gb.