Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I used to use tap to click exclusively, but after living with Force Touch for a while now, it's absolutely an improvement, even without Apple making much use from the secondary click or other features it will bring. The click is much more reliable than the tap, requires less finger movement to activate, and for fine pointer control, doesn't require your finger to leave the trackpad before making a selection.

Another former tap to click user here. The other major improvement with the new trackpad is being able to click and drag things around the screen without having the pressure required to keep the trackpad "clicked" changing from the top to the bottom. It's a major improvement. I wouldn't sell a computer to upgrade the trackpad, but I'll never buy another without the new hardware.

Reactions: zhenya

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I also went from a 2013 13" MBA (fully loaded) to a stripper 2015 11" MBA. I definitely prefer the smaller size for portability. I may take a look at the MacBook in a few years.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
"ABSOLUTELY" no ports is a bit of an exaggeration, though. It does have a port. And you can plug a lot of stuff into it if you use a hub. And hubs are getting super cheap.

True. And it's not as sucky as people might think. I haven't been able to find a reason to stick a USB drive or anything else into this machine. When . . . . if USB-C takes off enough to make the accessories cheaper then we'll see the Rev B and C models of the rMB take off. Much like the Air.

One port IS more than zero, but barely. No number of hubs will ever change that, nor will it ever make the usage a pleasant experience, if you need to connect things to the computer. A hub may add connectivity, but will NOT add ports to the rMB. Additionally, you now have one more piece of gear to haul around with you (and worry about the power requirements of the hub) while using a "mobile" computer "on the go".

Hub ≠ Ports.

Agreed. I'm not too much of a hub fan (I think the motrek meant adaptors, so power wouldn't be a concern) but I've always had to carry one with me. The only time I didn't have to was when I used computers that had VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort connectors on them. Those machines were almost always never light.

Even with my 15" RMBP I've had to carry at least two adaptors and a cable along with me for presentations or plugging into external monitors. Adaptors are going to be one of those things that we'll never leave behind.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
One port IS more than zero, but barely. No number of hubs will ever change that, nor will it ever make the usage a pleasant experience, if you need to connect things to the computer. A hub may add connectivity, but will NOT add ports to the rMB. Additionally, you now have one more piece of gear to haul around with you (and worry about the power requirements of the hub) while using a "mobile" computer "on the go".

Hub ≠ Ports.

Like you said, it depends on how you use the computer. If you constantly need to a) move around a lot and b) hook up multiple peripherals while moving around, the MB won't be a pleasant experience. But if you don't need to hook up peripherals or only need to "dock" while at a stationary workstation, then the MB could be great.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Agreed. I'm not too much of a hub fan (I think the motrek meant adaptors, so power wouldn't be a concern) but I've always had to carry one with me. ...

No, I meant hub. You can definitely have "unpowered" hubs, i.e., hubs that are powered via USB and don't need to be plugged into the wall. Actually probably most hubs fit this description.

There are several USB-C hubs for sale on Amazon now in the ~$20 range which are small and thin and let you charge your rMB (via USB-C) while plugging in several USB-B devices.

I understand that for many people, it isn't great to carry around an extra piece of electronics, regardless of its size/weight. But if you don't need it too often then you should be able to fairly easily stash one of these hubs in your car, or luggage, etc. and it would only be a minor inconvenience.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm one of those who travels quite a lot for professional reasons, and portability & power are key issues for me. Since 2010 I have had a MBA, and love the form factor so much that, as long as Apple continue to make them, I will never be without one.

In any case, I have had both the 13" MBA (2013) and the 11" MBA (2014) and have found both superb computers, especially for use when travelling a lot and working abroad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.