11" MBA Means New MBP Line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by gan6660, Jul 18, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I was thinking if Apple really does discontinue the 13" MBA and make an 11" one maybe thats because the MBP line is is changing to the MBA form factor and Apple realizes that you cant have 2 13" notebooks that are pratically the same so the Air is made even smaller. I believe a 13" Macbook Air Pro is what alot of people have been waiting for. Maybe a computer that is slightly thicker but has alot of power.

2. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

That seems like an awful lot of speculation based off a vague rumor.

3. No ice please macrumors 6502

An 11 inch air would be pretty cool. But unfortunately I don't see it coming.

4. Spacekatgal macrumors regular

Spacekatgal

God, do I agree. How many times has MacRumors been wrong on this?

Bri

5. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Isnt that the whole point of a rumor site?

6. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

Yea but we should but somewhat realistic, not taking paper thin rumors with no evidence and then spitballing them til we have steve jobs in the elevator with an iCar.

7. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I think an 11.6" MB Air is a great idea. Maybe that's why it's a rumor. It would differentiate the Air from the 13" MBP which is a model I don't think Apple will get rid of because it sells so well.

At 11.6" it could still have a full sized keyboard and not be considered a netbook. It would be a tacit admission that the flash in the pan, solution looking for a problem iPad is not a viable option for content creation other than short emails.

8. pharmx macrumors regular

Well, if the MBA does go the 11.6" route, I know how Apple could sell a lot more 13" MBPs....give customers the option of a BTO model that allows us flexibility with respect to optical drive and battery. I would rather have an additional HD than be stuck with an optical drive that never gets used. Even better would be the option to lose the optical drive altogether, have a smaller battery, and then use all the extra space to have better gpu options, or even a thinner/lighter model. The dream MBA that we all really want is somewhere between the current 13" MBP and the current MBA....or at least, my dream MBA is ;)

9. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

10. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

What if it was an 11.6" slate that could run a full up touch version of OS 10.

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I agree with that. Imho 13 is small enough.

12. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

Apple won't downsize a laptop to less than 13", they won't downsize the keyboard to an uncomfortable way like a Netbook and also 11" would kinda compete with the iPad

I would rather see a MacBook Air instead of the White MacBook with a price drop which would make it more logical based on specs and it would be great for students

13. Isidore macrumors member

I don't see why not. The 12" powerbook was very popular among road warriors and that had a slightly shrunken keyboard that was quite useable. With a widescreen format, an 11.6" Air could have a full size keyboard and essentially the same size screen- in any case when not travelling you connect it to an external monitor. We have two Airs and at first I was concerned about it possibly shrinking, but the more I think about itthe more indifferent I am to this aspect of spec. change. I doubt somehow they would keep both sizes in production.

14. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

Let's clear up the keyboard size thing...

... If the existing keyboard were duplicated, but the new case were to end one quarter inch to the left of that, and one quarter inch to the right of it... then the case COULD be smaller while the keyboard ain't.

And with a screen of 11.6", I haven't calculated the measurements... but maybe the bezel space around the screen then grows a tiny bit.

The result?

Smaller, lighter, smaller screen and same keyboard -- all co-existing in one design. Not impossible.

There is nothing sillier than a discussion with 2 or more people chasing each other around in circles of misunderstanding, as if having those 4 things in one design, were somehow impossible. :eek:

Of course if Jobs would just let Ive do his job... Ive would probably look at the ways the Air's design progress is blocked by things beyond Apple's control... then look at the things where progress is not blocked by such forces.... and decide to upgrade ALL the weak areas that he readily can: RAM, SSD, jacks, hinges, white donut problem, trackpad-button-hits-bezel problem, heat disposal, etc.

Fix all that "little stuff", and they'll have a product that's a good choice for millions more people.

This would mean easing up on the penny pinching... and forgetting the negative thinking of Jobs's "Design is about saying 'No'." It's not about maximising rationales to say "No." to things; it's about multidimensional and complex problem-solving.

15. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

if the air gets put down to the 11", I wonder what they plan to do with the old "macbook" line? :confused:

16. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Whats the white donut problem?

17. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

gan6660: A few months back in the Air furum, were reports that some Air screens get what was described as a big though I guess subtle whitish kinf of damage, in the form of sort of a big white donut. Apparently this had to do with the aluminum lid having too much flex, when closed... if a force is pushing on it.

So a foam sleeve wouldn't help. And I wonder if even packing other stuff into a shoulder bag could do this.

I don't recall this being particular to just the older models... though I don't recall the details much. Perhaps you can find these posts.

Aluminum-steel alloys can be quite strong, but aluminum by itself is a soft metal. All 3 case problems... the hinge area, the white donut damage to the screen, and the trackpad button sometimes nicking the bezel when closed (which could probably have been fixed in the early design by halving how far that button protrudes)... all suggest to me that Apple's design dept needs to buy some machines that do physical testing, and use them.

Such machines compress years of usage into a shorter time period. My local Ikea has 2 on display, operating 24 hours a day. One opens and closes a cabinet door, and IIRC I think the other one was testing - sitting on a chair. I think I've seen pictures of some physical testing machines at Consumer Reports magazine, too.

Of course they have to be custom-configured for what you're testing. IMHO the Air needs to be tested for all 3 case problems.

The Air could benefit from such testing more than any other Apple product, because --- When you push the limits on thinness, the limits push back.

18. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Tomorrow is the day that Robeddie (sp) has predicted for the MBA update... anyone feeling lucky?

19. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Its possible. The "magic trackpad" or whatever its going to be called seems immenant now and I dont think Apple would introduce that all by itself so a MBA update does seem logical. It could also take some light off of the iPhone 4 issues.

20. soph macrumors regular

I doubt it and while it might be massive wishful thinking because I just got my sparkling new MBA after I finally caved in, I do have some factoids I base it on.

As I've written earlier I'm convinced the new MBA will be the guinea pig for new technology - Macbook-wide - in the CPU and GPU area. And to me it's too early for that right now.

The 11"-rumor also hints to a later release date, it's not a silent update candidate that might get introduced in slow summer months (and anyway I would not want a smaller screen than 13", which is on the lower range for me as it is).

And most of all the store's not down yet :D .

21. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I have used Leopoard in a netbook with 1 GB 667 MHz RAM and it works pretty well for basic stuff (browsing, mail, torrent, TV series). I'm looking forward to a MBA 11" but I would not kill it's 13" counterpart, choice is always welcome.

I'd eventually buy a MBA 11" when my netbook dies on me but I'd never buy a 13" MBA, I already have an excellent MBP 13" on the go machine.

22. zedsdead macrumors 68040

Apple doesn't release products on the day of their conference calls. Not going to happen.

They did release the recent iMac update the day after a call last time, and also released Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio updates on a Thursday two days after a different call. Something this week is possible, but I highly doubt it.

23. gonzo84 macrumors newbie

Is it possible Apple is shrinking the form factor of the MBA to utilize Oled screens. The report that indicated a 11.6'' MBA also mentioned that its going to be thinner, right? How could you possibly make the MBA thinner? Oled? Another point is that an Oled display is very expensive and it would allow Apple to keep the fairly high price of the MBA.
    Over the past yearsfrequent reports indicated Apples intrest in Oled display although they would never admit it :)

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

You have the 2002 model G4 Titanium PowerBook, right? ;)

25. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

gonzo84: Would OLED screen significantly improve the Air?

I would value a screen improvement that halps readability outdoors. Or if I can only get a seat in the sunlit part of a room.

Mor contrast is always welcome for my ageing eyes. But if a screen merely gets "sharper", meh.

At the Apple store I was hoping to see an iPhone4 "retina" screen right next to a 3GS's screen, to get a comparison. But they didn't have that possibility set up. Looking at the "retina" display... if I hadn't heard the hype, I wouldn't have spotted the improvement. (Not to say there isn't any... just that I'd need that side-by-side comparison to be sure of it.)

Are there any 11.6" OLED screens on the wholesale market now? Or already in a laptop? In a cell phone? If so, I'd be curious to go see one in a store.

Do OLEDs bring only advantages? Any disadvantages?