11" mba rocks!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Anghellichalo, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Anghellichalo macrumors newbie

Man I just love this thing. I was really thinking about getting the 13 but I am very pleased with the 11. Such a great size for lounging around and so easy to grab and take anywhere. I know this is probably a waste of a post but man if anyone is thinking about getting the MBA 11, I can honestly say this is my new favorite computer ever. Also if anyone has any widgets or programs they can recommend for this bad boy I would appreciate it.

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Welcome to the club :D it's my favorite computer ever as well, it's just so comfortable to use in any fashion and so easy to take with you when you step out the door, yet it's also super sturdy. I love mine.

As for stuff to put on there. I haven't done much with mine except istat pro and hyper dock. Hyper doc gives you window previews like windows 7 when you hover over the icons in the doc. Istat is a widget that gives you system information such as temp. and CPU usage. I also have a couple emulators for old school gaming.

3. Mad.Rider macrumors member

depends really what you use your PC for but try out these programs out, if you haven't already.

Caffeine
    Appcleaner
    Citrix
    Evernote
    Dropbox
    Netnewswire
    Whistle Phone

4. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

+1!!

The iPad may be easier to consume content with th flick of a finger, but this is so much more versatile! When I'm traveling I take the mba 11" with me, instead of the iPad I used to take with me.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've seen people using their 13" MBAs, and thought to myself, "Too bad. You guys are missing out." :p

6. VMMan macrumors 6502a

The MBA 11" is by far the most fun computer I've ever owned. You always are finding excuses to bring it with you to use because it's so mobile and yet full featured to the point that you think it defies some law of physics.

7. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Welcome to the club! I love my first gen since day one abd been using the 11" since it came out so no regret what so ever. Now I would love to buy the 2011 model and see how it handle compare to my 2010. As of my first gen it retired last year too slow after using the 11" :(

8. Sgenea macrumors newbie

I absolutely love how much work I can achieve with such a small machine. (Y)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    App removal software like AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of deleting files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

10. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

As the owner of a 2010 13" MBA, I have to agree. My 11" MBA is perfect for couch at home, or at my desk at work. Other than battery life, I am really into this computer.

11. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I had (and still have until I sell it) a 2nd-gen. 13" Air that I really enjoyed. But my new 11" Air is fantastic. It's absolutely perfect for using as a LAPtop while in a chair or couch, and is actually easier for me to type on than the 13". It's an amazing design.

12. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I bought a 1.4ghz 11" C2D back in october. It was pretty sweet, and the form factor is second to none.

Having an iPad though, I felt that having an 11" Air was a little redundant. Also, a 1.4ghz C2D is a little too "weak" in a main computer. Not that the 11" Air was slow at all.

13. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

With the Core i5 upgrade this go-around, I seriously considered getting the 11" over the 13" MBA. But in the end, the higher resolution screen, integrated SD slot, faster processor, and longer battery life of the 13" won over.

I might end up replacing my wife's 2009 MBA with an 11" though.

14. glen e macrumors 68030

Love mine - put it in a bookbook cover - now that I have a 128 ssd and 500g usb HD, I can make it my central home computer with a monitor so then when I go on the road, I take my entire office with me...

it does not replace my ipad though... - two different applications

15. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

I bought both (11 and a 13). I loved the 11 and the only reason I kept the 13 instead is battery life. The 11 just doesn't hang in there quite long enough. If it did, I'd have kept the 11. I have to endure some long note-taking sessions and other work away from plugs and the 11 would die about 1 hour too soon. The 13 hangs in there with room to spare.

There is a portability difference between the two. There's nothing comparable to the 11 for grab-and-go. The 13 isn't quite as easy but after a couple days I don't even notice the difference enough to reflect on it. Both are just amazing, ground-breaking computers and both can go anywhere. I can fit the 13 in the same case the 11 was in.

16. fade- macrumors member

loving my 11" too, but the screen is a little too small for serious work.

17. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Im wanting one but cant decide between the 64gb or 128gb ssd size.

Im an ultra light user.

Decisions decisions !!

18. Billy Mac macrumors newbie

Love my 2011 13" MBA, but would be lying if I didn't admit that it simply is not as cool as my wife's 2010 11".

19. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Yeah this little guy is by far my favorite computer. Coming from a 13" air I felt it was a little to big to pickup and go anywhere. I always felt I could drop it. The 11" is so easy to just grab and go.

I don't think I could ever go back to a bigger laptop again. All I need now is a cinema display and I'll be truly mobile.

The 64GB and 2GB or ram could be ok for you if your truly a light user.
    That means having iTunes open, web browsing, and a word document open.
    But I would recommend the 4GB or RAM to anyone who wants true multi-tasking.

20. howmuchfor1rib macrumors newbie

i love mine and i will love it even more once the mdp to mdp cable i ordered comes so i can connect it to my 27" imac.

21. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I wanted to buy the 11" but the shorter battery life and the lower screen resolution eventually made me go for the 13". I love the 11" form factor, but eventually I felt that the 13" is a better balanced machine for an all-around use.

22. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

On my 11th charge, I got 7h13min!! bluetooth off, keyboard backlight off, screen just 1 notch, wifi on, bit surfing, working in word on a long report, overnight (over 12h) sleep and the sunday lazy on the couch reading news, working some more on the report and it just shut down.

Now that is some nice time! I know this is not representative for the use of most people, but the fact that is possible is really great!

I have the idea that the battery gets better with every use.
    This machine is really great!!!

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I couldn't make up my mind. Ended up buying the 13 initially...The i5/4/256. With the intention of returning it if I still desired the 11 (I bought my wife the 11" 2010 Ultimate last year).

Long story short...I love the 13, kept it...and also bought an 11" (2011) ultimate (core i7, 4g, 256g)...now we have both, including last year's 11". We've decided to use the 11s as our field back up computers to our iMacs. We run an A/V production business...but in Alaska, our mainstay over the summertime is weddings...we DJ them, uplighting, videography, etc. We use 21.5" iMacs as our primary machines...but redundancy is necessary. Up until now, we've used 15 or 17" MBPs. Now...it's the Airs. With external back up hard drives for our music and video libraries. I am absolutely in LOVE with these new Airs. They are easily my favorite computer Apple has ever built...and the 11" Air takes the cake. While I do own both...wherever I got, I've got a really cool "Murse" (Man Purse) that carries both my 11" Air and my iPad2. I don't go anywhere without both:)

I'm kind of worried about myself. I can't stop buying the new Mac products and justifying their purchases with something to do with our business;) Oh Well! We've done 93 weddings this summer, 14 class reunions, and a dozen birthday parties...so we're doing OK in our booking department...and with the two Macs on site, I NEVER have to carry CDs with me any longer! As well...with the iPhone tethering, I'm online all the time...and if that obscure track comes up, or the most recent youtube tune is requested, we've got it within 30-45 seconds! As well, AT&T just turned their "4g" network on here...so I picked up one of their 4g cards this past week. UnBelievable!!! I'm getting 7-10 mb/s down and up to 4mb/s UP!!! I can D/L an iTunes track in less than 10 seconds:)

That's probably the ONLY request I would like to make in future builds of the Air. A universal 3/4g radio for the ability to be online anytime!!!

Jer

24. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

This is the 13" version, right...?

25. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

+15!!!!!

No, it's an 11". I'm still shocked myself, but it is true. I must say I've done everything to make it as efficient as possible. Turned local snapshots off, all kind of rubbish programs that where lingering from years of use. Eyetv, touch-something for the canon scanner, google-notifier, you name it all the non-necesary items, I killed them. And it payed off. The temperature stayed nice low, 40-46 cpu, 27-28 bottom enclosure and that was it.
    And don't forget that turning the brightness to it's lowest, no keyboard lighting on, no bluetooth, no other programs open except word and when needed safari makes a big difference.