Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
At one point I used a netbook with an 8.9" screen and had no problems with it, but the screen on the 2011 11" MBAs caused eyestrain for me, even just playing around with it in store for a little while. I'm not sure if it was the resolution or what? Regardless, can anything be adjusted to make the screen more comfortable? I can't say it was solely size if I could use the 8.9" screen without issue.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
At one point I used a netbook with an 8.9" screen and had no problems with it, but the screen on the 2011 11" MBAs caused eyestrain for me, even just playing around with it in store for a little while. I'm not sure if it was the resolution or what? Regardless, can anything be adjusted to make the screen more comfortable? I can't say it was solely size if I could use the 8.9" screen without issue.

It could be the resolution (no way to fix), eye sight (new glasses), led backlight (no way to fix) :S

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
It could be the resolution (no way to fix), eye sight (new glasses), led backlight (no way to fix) :S

I don't think it's my eye sight because that hasn't changed since I used the netbook.... Is the backlighting similar to my MBP? Because the backlight on my MBP doesn't cause me any problems but it is a bigger screen (13"). I guess that leaves resolution? I know people have talked about a program that "warms" the screen colours as well...I wonder if that would help.

Hmm. I really love the footprint of the 11"! It's just a matter of whether it'd be practical for me to use for several hours a day (at work...I'd also use it traveling).

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
It could have been the bright store lights reflecting in the screen. Plus, they usually have the brightness turned up pretty high in the store, which definitely hurts the eyes when looking at it (at least for me...I am usually on 50% brightness).

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
+1.

It maybe caused by maximum brightness in store display.

Just buy it, in a week your eyes are going to adapt with the screen. Make sure you adjust te brightness to your liking as well.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Turn down the brightness for sure. The Air is bright, I find I have to keep it down at 4 notches to be comfortable. My 2006 iMac brand new had to be kept down at 1 or 2 notches to be comfortable, it's since increased to just under half way up with the aging backlight.

Depends on the room lighting conditions though. The screen should be just a hair brighter than the wall behind it. At least the Air can be dimmed down enough to be comfortable to use in a completely dark room, I can't do that with my iMac.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
Thanks guys! I didn't even think of the brightness thing or the lighting in the Apple store. Because now that I think about it, I noticed the eye strain more in the Apple store than when I was looking at it in Best Buy. Thank you!

rookpsu

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Philadelphia
Thanks guys! I didn't even think of the brightness thing or the lighting in the Apple store. Because now that I think about it, I noticed the eye strain more in the Apple store than when I was looking at it in Best Buy. Thank you!

If you're logging a bunch of evening hours you might want to check out F.lux as well. Some love it, some hate it, I'm pretty indifferent, but it'll automatically adjust (warm) the color temperature of your monitor to mimic your indoor lighting which in addition to aiding in sleep, allegedly reduces eye strain.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2008
What's the resolution on the netbook you were using?

It was an old netbook, from back in 2009. An Acer 8.9" netbook - I think the resolution was 1024 x 600. LOL.

----------

If you're logging a bunch of evening hours you might want to check out F.lux as well. Some love it, some hate it, I'm pretty indifferent, but it'll automatically adjust (warm) the color temperature of your monitor to mimic your indoor lighting which in addition to aiding in sleep, allegedly reduces eye strain.

Thanks! I'll check this out :)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006

wow, tried f.lux, it gave me eyesore.

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
wow, tried f.lux, it gave me eyesore.

Well, you have to use it a few days, not try it for 5 minutes. I use f.lux for 6 months now and, believe me, my eyes are thanking me every night I sit in front of my Mac.

applerepairs

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2011
Fulham, London
There is no problem in 8.9" screen in MacBookAir, But 11" is very good screen with high resolution, But if u feel it is causing irritation to your Eyes, Then replace the screen as per your convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.