Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I have a 2013 11" MBA (6,1) that I need to upgrade the SSD for school. It has the original 128GB SSD that works fine and has MacOS 11.2 currently installed on. I want to save money over buying the upgrade from OWC. Can anybody help me choose a 1TB SSD that is appropriate for this machine? I have heard that I may need some kind of adapter as well but not sure of the details.

Specifically I need this to install Windows 10 and Rockwell automation software for my programmable logic controllers class. I have already done this with my iMac, but need the portability of my MBA. It does have 8GB RAM so I should be OK there. Thank you for any and all help.

imacomputah

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
I have a 2013 11" MBA (6,1) that I need to upgrade the SSD for school. It has the original 128GB SSD that works fine and has MacOS 11.2 currently installed on. I want to save money over buying the upgrade from OWC. Can anybody help me choose a 1TB SSD that is appropriate for this machine? I have heard that I may need some kind of adapter as well but not sure of the details.

Specifically I need this to install Windows 10 and Rockwell automation software for my programmable logic controllers class. I have already done this with my iMac, but need the portability of my MBA. It does have 8GB RAM so I should be OK there. Thank you for any and all help.
do some basic reading in the threads. this has been covered 100000000 times and has its own thread

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
do some basic reading in the threads. this has been covered 100000000 times and has its own thread
I really love responses posted just like this from people like you who won't help or post a link for the original poster to go to. Even if this topic have been discussed many times (I doubt 100000000 times as you suggest - SMFH)... it does not take too much effort for you to post a link to allow the original poster to go and get information they need. They are asking for help...

to the original poster, here is a link that should help you and if you have any additional question feel free to send me a PM:cool:

In this thread I was using a 512GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M2 storage drive. I have since changed that out and am using a 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 storage drive in my Early 2015 11inch MacBook Air. These storage drives will work in your 2013 11inch MacBook Air. You will also need to source a Sintech adapter for the NVMe M.2 drive to work in your Air. :apple:

Reactions: circatee

iTurbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Thank you Macdctr. I have tried this 'basic reading' that imacomputah writes of and would encourage him to read more as well. I did find the information I needed and plan to get the Sintech NGFF adapter along with an ADATA M.2 NVMe SSD. Thankfully this option is much more affordable than I thought it would be and should only run about $150.

Reactions: imacomputah

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Thank you Macdctr. I have tried this 'basic reading' that imacomputah writes of and would encourage him to read more as well. I did find the information I needed and plan to get the Sintech NGFF adapter along with an ADATA M.2 NVMe SSD. Thankfully this option is much more affordable than I thought it would be and should only run about $150.
Best of luck! I just find it irritating when someone is asking for help and the help they receive is "look it up" rather than just posting a link to a thread that contains the answer the person is trying to get. To me it takes just as much effort on imacomputah's part if he just posted the link like I did. It only took me a minute to find this thread for you to look into and then post it rather than being an arse about it... forums are meant to help each other out. Share information.

That is the problem with some people these days... rather than help someone, even though the topic has been discussed many times, they would just rather add to the problem and tell the person to do a search and look it up. SMFH... It never used to be this way back in the day...

Reactions: circatee

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just remember that you need to be running at least a High Sierra bootrom before installing the SSD.

You may run into kernel panics and sleep problems if you don't disable hibernate. You'll definitely experience some extra battery drain too.

Reactions: Macdctr

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Just remember that you need to be running at least a High Sierra bootrom before installing the SSD.

You may run into kernel panics and sleep problems if you don't disable hibernate. You'll definitely experience some extra battery drain too.
good point!

Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.