11" MBA Without A Monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by B J M, Aug 12, 2011.

1. B J M macrumors member

B J M

This is my first thread/post!

I am finally making the switch from an old Windows 15.6" laptop to a brand new Mac! :D

But I'm unsure of which Notebook I want :/

I don't currently have a monitor, besides my 42 inch full HD Plasma TV that sits on my desk. I'm a university student studying management and so the computer is only for personal use not work intensive means, e.g. itunes, web browsing, word documents, youtube etc. (No photo or video editing of any kind)

So my question is as follows: is the MacBook Air 11" usable *AS A MAIN AND ONLY COMPUTER* without a monitor?

OR:

Is a 42 inch Plasma screen practical for use as a monitor/13 inch MacBook Air more favorable.

I have tried using a 10.1" netbook and found it a little cramped (then again the trackpad was abysmal and the keyboard wasn't full size, plus the air has an inch and a half larger screen).

I apologize in advance, I know there are similar posts but I couldn't find any with the exact same factors.

2. glen e macrumors 68030

I just used a MBA 11 on the road for two straight months and found it to work fine - for exactly what you plan to do.

That being said, I am home now and appreciate a bigger screen. I have my 11 hooked to a 27 monitor. So to answer your question, the 42 will work fine, but be huge...and therefore you might want something smaller - in that case as my one and only, I'd get the 13....

3. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I've only played with them in stores (many times!) but I'd personally want an external monitor if I had the 11" MBA. And these days there are some great deals on decent external monitors.

4. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

for the uses you mentioned, it is perfect. and if you are coming from a netbook type of machine you will more than appreciate what the 11" mba has to offer.

i went with the 11" mba and do not have an external monitor, but i am planning to purchase one in the future (looking at the dell ultrasharp line). For now, for my uses which are similar to you, it works great. I am only 24, and i wear contacts but am near sighted so i don't have any problems with vision on such a small screen, and with the touch gesture to zoom in (2 finger, tap twice) it makes for a nice feature.

if you are really concerned, go to a store and check out both 11 and 13 models, i went with 11 because of the form factor, 16:9 ratio, and did i mention form factor? this is a fun little computer.

5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

If I couldn't use a notebook with an external monitor, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 17" notebook. If you're only considering 11 and 13 though, the 13 is way way way more useable IMO.

6. B J M thread starter macrumors member

B J M

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

you've persuaded me to go with the 11" :D unfortunately there are no stores located near to me (England needs more stores Apple!) if it does feel to small I will look at investing in another monitor. Thanks for your help!

7. molala macrumors 6502a

Curry's and John Lewis carry them too, maybe other stores. So you have other places to see them than just the Apple store.

8. Roller macrumors 68020

You didn't say how often you'd be using the MBA at a desk as opposed to carrying it with you. You can't beat the 11" for portability - I carry mine places I never would have taken my 13" MacBook. If your laptop is primarily for desk use, however, you may be more satisfied with the 13" MBA, which is still very light and thin. Both of my kids use 13" MBs as their only computer without any problem. Good luck with your choice!

9. B J M thread starter macrumors member

B J M

Mine would be almost exclusively used as a desktop machine; I like the 13"s bigger screen and better resolution but I'm worried about all the threads about the lottery of getting an inferior LG screen (not sure if the same problem occurs in the 11"). As it's my first Mac it's such a difficult choice!:confused:

10. glen e macrumors 68030

don't get caught up in "screen hypochondria"... I have looked at both and can't tell a diff...most of the fanboys are making this out to be the Toyota scare of 2010....maybe for a imovie or photo guy but for an office user, it's no big deal...

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

That reminds me, did I tell you what I think happened when I threw my LG hissy fit a couple of weeks ago?

12. roccobladr macrumors 6502

the 11" screen is great! you will adjust to it. I was used to using a windows PC on my 32 " LCD and didn't think the MBA 11 would be sufficient, but it has been great. I picked up a displayport->HDMI adapter on ebay for 2$ just in case I ever feel like I want to hook it up to my big 32" screen, but honestly have not felt the need for it.

13. DieterRams macrumors regular

What do you mean? What are you referring to?

----------

What kind of work do you do with a screen that size? If for design, don't all the Photoshop palettes give you even less space to work in? I suppose for word processing it may not be too bad but what about for more involved work where there are multiple windows that need to be shown?

14. cgallant725 macrumors newbie

I've had my 11" for about a week now, I have a 21" monitor that I have used when needed with my 13" pro and figured that I would HAVE to use for this one too since the screen is even smaller. Realistically I only see my self using the monitor when I need to read something and type a document at the same time, but a second monitor always make that much easier. (I dont really do anything as far as photo/video goes)

15. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Just basic stuff. Word processing and GarageBand work great without a hitch. The OP didn't seem like he would be doing anything too involved with design, but like I said, its an easy fix to hook up another monitor and I'm willing to bet that most people who have a MBA also have a TV with DVI or HDMI input.