'11 MBP Gray Boxes and Screen Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NikFinn, May 4, 2011.

1. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Hey guys,

Have a 2011 i5 with upgraded 8GB of RAM and Optibay'd SSD with a 1TB in the HDD bay.

I've noticed some problems over the past few weeks that mostly involve the screen and am not sure if they are related. First, is gray boxes inside the twitter app. It's hard to describe, but I grabbed a screenshot and it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

This only happens in the twitter app, and usually flickers while scrolling. It also doesn't happen all of the time just occasionally.

On to the second problem. This one I can not get a screen shot of and it has only happened twice (and rather randomly). The entire screen has gray lines (horizontal) and there are also green and maybe red, though I don't remember if the red were there. When this happens, the only way to solve the problem is to hard reboot it as everything becomes frozen.

Another problem, which may be unrelated is a kernel panic. I have had only one, and it was after I rebooted from the second problem.

It's hard to search for what these problems are as I'm not too sure how to describe them, but I am concerned it could be a logic board problem. Could anyone shed some light on this?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Try a PRAM and SMC reset and see if that helps.

3. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

There's a new GPU update for the 2011 MBP, get that... then, run updates again, there's an EFI update. Hopefully that makes the difference.

If not, try using only the original RAM. Try that.

If not, HDD?

Then, if none of that works and you don't get help here, post on Apple Forums.

Then, call Apple....