11 or 13 inch MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Urindanger, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Urindanger macrumors member

can not decide if I should buy a macbook 11 or 13! Can you who have a 11 or 13 give me the pros and cons? :cool::cool:

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

It really just depends on what you're going to use it for and what your needs are.

3. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'd go into the Apple store and try them both out.

4. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I just got a 13" MBA yesterday, but have been playing with them in the Apple Store for quite some time.

For me (and my eyes!), an 11" would be too small. Even though the 11" is only 1" narrow, the screen is 1.5" shorter as it has a different aspect ratio (16X9 in the 11", 16X10 in the 13"). Again, just not enough screen real estate for me to do what I want to do.

The 13" also has a built in SD card slot. If you shoot photo and/or video and want to edit in the field, this is a nice addition. It also gives you a way to add a little more onboard memory; folks have been known to keep a large SD card in the slot and add 32GB - 64GB of memory to their system that way. Perfect place to keep an Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes or iMovie database.

I personally would like to see a 15" in the MBA form factor, but that is probably getting close to defeating the purpose of the Air!

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I had purchase both Mid-2011 MBA 11 and 13 models because I couldn't decide. I had them both for the course of a year and realize I had prefer to use the 13 inch more often due to screen real estate. The MBA 11 was always fun to use every time I turned it on but I never did any real work on it. All of my documents were stored in the cloud so I could have easily accessed them from either machine.

6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Both are just as fast, so...

13" MBA:
    - has higher resolution screen / and larger than the 11" model
    - has longer battery life than the 11" model
    - has an SD card reader

11" MBA:
    - is slightly lighter than the 13" model
    - is slightly smaller than the 13" model
    - is slightly cheaper than the 13" model

It really comes down to your needs... both are really good models.
    As a personal opinion: I for one could only be happy with a 13" model... :)

7. taipan61 macrumors 6502

for me it all fell into what i was using it for, i log lots of hours in the air so the form factor of the 11" was perfect for me and it fits that lil airplane table nicely

which ever you decide i would go for the most memory and biggest ssd you can afford

no matter which you'll enjoy it

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Depends on your use, for me I'm not a fan of the 11" size and same for the 10" netbooks, just too small for me. But if your just going to lounge around and use it here and there I can see how someone would like the 11".

I even found myself going for my 13" Pro when kicking back, or on the couch etc vs my iPad2. So sold the iPad, guess that's just me though lol

9. Urindanger thread starter macrumors member

If I choose between MBA 11 with 128 gb and 8 gb or 13 mba base. which should I choose?

10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

base MBA 13

11. technopimp macrumors 6502a

12. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

This ^^. I spent HOURS and DAYS searching forums about which laptop I should choose. In the end, I said **** it and went to an Apple Store. Best decision I ever made because imo, the 11' is just WAY too small to read comfortably for hours. I was definitely looking for something bigger and the 13' Macbook Air was PERFECT for what I wanted and needed. The 11' is just too small for me to use comfortably.

Everyone's going to have their own opinions as there are obviously a LOT of 11' owners out there. Reading opinions can be nice... but going to the store yourself and trying both out is going to make sure you don't regret what you get later on. In the end, utility, beauty, etc... is in the eye of the beholder. Not the poster. lol.

13. Urindanger thread starter macrumors member

choose mba 13 and hope I will be satisfied! 11 felt that many of you have said a little too small. I thank everyone who has written in this thread :)

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Enjoy your new machine. And whatever you do, keep your beverages away from it.

15. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

I would go for the 13 in you get 2 Hours of more battery life, trust me that's a huge difference. If you can go to the apple store or any official retailer the Mac section is alway a must be place to be in :)

16. stchman macrumors 6502a

Hasn't this topic been beaten into the ground enough? 11" or 13" MBA, get whichever one you want!!!!! I can give you the reason I got a 13", but that might not line up with your needs/wants.

17. TC25 macrumors 68020

Yes, along with almost every other topic. When people can't be bothered to read the other threads or use the Search function, and too many people keep replying to them, this is what happens.

18. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

I would prefer an i5 13" MBA with 8GB RAM and 256GB storage. If I had to reduce the cost, I could go with the same specs and 128GB SSD. Actually, this is going to be my portable choice for a second Mac apart from my iMac.

19. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^You ave resurrected a two year old thread to comment on a question that has probably been asked many many more times since then?????

And has has been said above:

Has been beaten into the ground more.

Lou

20. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

come on Lou, it's always interesting to refresh this topic with some thoughts... do you think a 2012 topic is very old? I think you said your MBA is a 2012 model, too....correct? :rolleyes:

21. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Topic is old and beat to death. My MBA is not:p

Lou