Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I love the 11", but sometimes I wish I got the 13"

I think its the best choice (unless you can splurge for the retina MBP 13)

Dr Charter

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Oklahoma
I love the 11", but sometimes I wish I got the 13"

I think its the best choice (unless you can splurge for the retina MBP 13)

I agree. There is something appealing about that 11" form factor though. For me, I think it is that I always wanted a 12" powerbook in college but never had the money.

Ken S

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
Had a 2010 11" and just purchased a 13".

The 11" is a simply amazing form factor. Barely bigger than an iPad but it's a full-fledged notebook. I travel extensively for work and it has been a great traveling companion. It's about the only notebook you can use comfortably in an economy class seat with the person in front fully reclined.

However, it's portability is a double edged sword with the screen size. When I travel, I don't use external monitors. The 11" screen, while surprisingly usable for many applications, just became a little too cramped when it was your sole display for 1-2 weeks.

I'm about to go on my first trip with my new 13" so I hope the trade-off in size will be worth it!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have an 11" MBA. Love it. Super portable... weighs nearly nothing, fits everywhere. But, I have a 27" iMac as a desktop at home and a Mac mini + TB display at work, so I don't require a large screen on a laptop.

My wife has a 13" MBA, but it's basically her main/only machine.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
In terms of a fun factor, the 11" is really is appealing. But, even though it performs well, it just misses a lot. After awhile, I found that I really craved a bigger screen. That meant my windows desktop got more use. Using my 13", I don't even see a sacrifice. Also, I really use the palmrests on my 13"; on the 11", they're a lot smaller. However, for me, the biggest drawback was the battery's shorter runtime. With the rumors of better battery life (I can't remember the source), the 11" would move up a lot.

If, instead, Apple made a 12" and a 14", I think they would appeal to even more. By reducing the bezel, they could keep the same footprint, but add a solid inch to the screen real estate. For the 11", the difference would be quite noticeable.

Oldgreycat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I picked up a refurbished 11-inch recently. I absolutely love it, but I got it primarily to be a secondary/on-the-go machine - for writing and surfing the web, not much more. The form factor can't be beat. As a primary computer, however, the small screen would drive me bonkers over an extended period of time. (It's not so much real estate that you're giving up -1366 x 768 is similar to many laptops - but that the screen itself is small. So everything is tiny.) I do plug it into my monitor and use it in clamshell mode some nights - makes a major difference.

If this is to be your mother's computer - what are her needs? Does she need ultra-portability? Or will she be using it exclusively at home? If she uses iTunes, is she comfortable using external hard drives? (128 gigs sounds like a lot of space, but a decent-sized music library will consume all of it. And if she downloads movies and TV shows....) If that's the case, you may want to consider the entry-level Macbook Pro or iMac, which come with much larger HDs and don't cost all that much more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.