Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I'm looking to get an actual informed answer to the question of whether installing loads of apps slows down the phone.

Does anyone know from experience?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I'm looking to get an actual informed answer to the question of whether installing loads of apps slows down the phone.

My 2 cents worth

I remember reading that OS v3 will allow you to return to the application you where using when you automatically switch to something else like a phone call.

This means that something stays in memory, which could - supposedly - slow down something.

However, the amount of installed applications (unlimited in OS v3 I understand) will only slow down spotlight..

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Apps are not like processes running on a PC, they are stored in flash memory like a HD on a PC. So Apps would be no different than music stored in flash memory,.. so no it shouldn't slow down.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Download a ton of free apps and figure it out for yourself. That way you can devise your own test with worrying about the YMMV factor.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have heard that it does have an impact on the iPhone's performance, but have not experienced it first hand.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
I have 11 pages and some apps after that wont show of course. I have a 3gs and I don't see any slow downs..........

maybe because I have a 3Gs phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.