11" SSD faster than 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RossMc, Jul 24, 2011.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Not sure if this has been posted or not but just seen this video from one of the people I'm subscribed to on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vaZl0H56o

What does everyone think? The 11" have the faster SSD or is it just random which SSD you get?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Samsung is faster than Toshiba. Does it say what brand of SSD each one has? It has nothing to do with the size of the screen... :D

3. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

Just the model numbers.

SM128C & TS128C(About 100MB/s Write & 60MB/s Read Slower)

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, that has been posted all over the forum. The Samsung SSD appears to be faster than the Toshiba SSD, and there appears to be both 11" and 13" MBAs with either one.

My wife has a Toshiba SSD and I have a Samsung. I've been messing with both while I load them up with BootCamp and other software. Honestly, I can't tell the difference. They are both speed demons.

5. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

well, although maybe in real life usage, you cant spot any difference

but of course there will be someone who is always a spec OCD, cant blame them

i am one of them :D

my question is, can you know the SSD model on the box? so that you can choose the SSD model on the Air rather than buying it, then open it and boom it's the Toshiba =(

6. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

So people are racing the MBAs now?

Interesting ;)

7. runtohell121 macrumors 6502

I'm more interested in the Random/Access speed instead of the Sequential Speed.. Sequential doesn't matter too much to me to be honest..

8. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I walked into a local Apple store and tested the boot times on the 13" model with the 128 GB SSD and boot times were around 25 seconds each time I tested. I thought they would be quicker.

9. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

To make those with Toshiba drive feel better, my 2010 ultimate 13" air is still booting up in 13 secs and usually, slightly less. I time my boot up time from the moment I press the power button.

My 256 GB SSD filled up more than half of the space, and I've installed no less than 10 applications and some required installing drivers.

Though, I'm on 10.6.5, haven't perform any update yet. In comparison, some earlier (pre Dec 2010) reviews shown that the boot up time usually 15 secs or more, some even in the 18 secs mark. They should have Toshiba as the earliest samsung drive appeared seems to be on Dec 2010.

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

That is almost twice the booting time with the new ones then :eek:
    I just ran that test on my 2.66 Core 2 Duo and I got 396 and 500 for my read and write speeds :D Running raid with 2 Vertex 2 SSD's in mime :D