Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I think people over 40 cannot adopt ipad portability as a second choice after an iMac. If you have enough money to spend and you are around 40-50 years old, buy a complete 13" MBA, otherwise go with the base model adding more RAM (just in case..). :cool:

Hmm, maybe your right - LOL. I had an iPad for three years and simply hated the darn thing. I now have a 2012 11" MBA with a Transcend 480GB SSD and couldn't be happier. The MBA is my supplemental machine to my Mac Pro.

BTW, I'm 75.

Lou

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Hmm, maybe your right - LOL. I had an iPad for three years and simply hated the darn thing. I now have a 2012 11" MBA with a Transcend 480GB SSD and couldn't be happier. The MBA is my supplemental machine to my Mac Pro.

BTW, I'm 75.

Lou

perfect! I am wondering who is the elder APPLE/MAC user in the world...

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Wow! All these responses! Thank you guys!

Well, you're making it your on-the-go machine and gravitating toward the form factor of the 11". Here are some things to consider:

1. The 11" is the true ultraportable. If you had both at your disposal you would pretty much always choose the 11" to grab and take out the door.

2. The footprint of the 13" is just a hair bigger than your 13" MBP, but just barely. There's a bigger difference between the Air and the rMBP.

3. In your user experience, the first thing you'll notice is form factor. How could you not? That's part of the reason this is keeping you on the fence. Remember that at first, it WILL be the first thing you notice. If you go with the 11" you'll admire how tiny it is, but you might also notice how cramped it is (you might not, who knows); if you go with the 13" you'll think of how much smaller it could be, but also how much more space you have.

4. The specs of the 11" and 13" are exactly the same. All you're changing is the chassis, 3 hours of battery life (but both are amazing anyway), and an SD card slot.

For what you're doing with it, you'd likely do fine with an 11". Photo editing might be a little tight on the screen, but I know people who have managed. The only other concern is how badly you want the SD card slot. Great for importing files from cameras (since you mentioned photo and video editing) and also for expanded storage, but in absence of an SD slot an adapter can be used (for data from cameras) and you could use a thumb drive for expanded storage, albeit less elegant.

So really, (and I know you already know this) you could use either machine fine; I'm just giving you more to think about (and repeating some stuff I guess). It's a shame you don't know anyone with an 11" but hey, what can you do?

I really wish I knew somebody with an 11" because the Apple Store really doesn't do it justice. What kind of shrink ray tech are you using, Apple:rolleyes:

...and that is why we offer our opinion. We want to help others make the best choice for themselves. (it's not like we're getting a commission if you buy one over the other :) )

I recently purchased an 11" MBA. It was to replace my Surface 2 tablet w/TypeCover2. It was absolutely worth it. I used my Surface almost exclusively as a netbook (it wasn't very good as a tablet). I'd use apps fullscreen and occasionally split-screen.

Shifting over to the 11" MBA was a "step up" screen-size wise (a full inch in the diagonal). On my desktop and notebook systems I rarely used apps in full-screen. But on the MBA, I find it a necessity... and quite enjoyable, and similar to how I was using my Surface.

A full OSX experience in a device slightly larger than an iPad 4 is pretty amazing.

I can actually use the Surface as a reference point to the size of the 11'' because for some odd reason I decided to buy one during Black Friday sales. Doesn't get much use though:rolleyes: I don't actually find the Surface that small. In fact, I find the size pretty usable, and thats already an inch smaller than the Air. Of course if I used it exclusively I would probably have a different opinion, but the size doesn't bother me too much. When using the Air in the Apple Store (which I will make another embarrassing venture to soon) It feels a little cramped. It makes me wonder why I don't feel the same with the Surface. It almost feels like the Surface is bigger.

I think people over 40 cannot adopt ipad portability as a second choice after an iMac. If you have enough money to spend and you are around 40-50 years old, buy a complete 13" MBA, otherwise go with the base model adding more RAM (just in case..). :cool:

Ironically, I replaced my mom's aging laptop with an iPad with Retina Display and she couldn't love it more. There isn't an hour she isn't using that thing. She will ask every once and a while to use my dad's iMac to import songs and such to her iPhone and iPad, but more often than not that iPad is the only device she needs.

I think people over 40 tend to see the iPad as a device for consuming content, rather than creating it. I love the form factor, but an 11" MBA gives me a lot more convenience and allows me to create content easily as well.

To the OP: It really is a toss up between the incredible portability of the 11" versus the excellent battery life and larger screen of the 13". Both are highly portable, but the 11" is exceptionally so; however, the larger screen of the 13" allows it to be used as a main computer, and the wonderful battery life is a real bonus.SIZE]

Another great point. Like I said above, my mom uses an iPad for everything. Of course, she isn't creating content. All she really needs to do is go through her email and browse FaceBook for hours. A few people I know have suggested to me buying an iPad Air with that amazing screen and fast processor and just buying a keyboard case or something along those lines. I personally find an iPad very difficult to use, but then again, this is coming from a guy with a computer comparative to the new Mac Pro.

I just wish this decision was easier to make :mad:. Buy giving them the exact same performance, either choice is going to be fine, so if I regret the size of the device, I won't lose out on any performance.

Why did you make this so hard Apple :(:apple:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I can actually use the Surface as a reference point to the size of the 11'' because for some odd reason I decided to buy one during Black Friday sales. Doesn't get much use though:rolleyes: I don't actually find the Surface that small. In fact, I find the size pretty usable, and thats already an inch smaller than the Air. Of course if I used it exclusively I would probably have a different opinion, but the size doesn't bother me too much. When using the Air in the Apple Store (which I will make another embarrassing venture to soon) It feels a little cramped. It makes me wonder why I don't feel the same with the Surface. It almost feels like the Surface is bigger.
Are you using Modern UI apps or desktop Office/IE? If Modern UI, it wouldn't surprise me that the Surface feels less cramped... there's less information on the screen since MUI apps are optimized for touch. But using the desktop apps, it would feel similar to the MBA.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
I really wish I knew somebody with an 11" because the Apple Store really doesn't do it justice. What kind of shrink ray tech are you using, Apple:roll eyes:

<snip>

I just wish this decision was easier to make :mad:. Buy giving them the exact same performance, either choice is going to be fine, so if I regret the size of the device, I won't lose out on any performance.

Why did you make this so hard Apple :(:apple:

In your next visit to the Apple Store, you might benefit from ignoring the 13" altogether and just focusing on playing around with the 11" model. Still not perfect, but at least you won't just be going back and forth agonizing over it while you're there.

Two things that might be making it feel cramped: the size of the bezel and the height of the trackpad. Once you use it for a while, you would barely notice either.

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Are you using Modern UI apps or desktop Office/IE? If Modern UI, it wouldn't surprise me that the Surface feels less cramped... there's less information on the screen since MUI apps are optimized for touch. But using the desktop apps, it would feel similar to the MBA.

Oddly enough I am using the desktop Office applications. I may just be used to it because I dual-boot the Hackintosh with Windows 8.1, and the icons aren't exactly large.

----------

In your next visit to the Apple Store, you might benefit from ignoring the 13" altogether and just focusing on playing around with the 11" model. Still not perfect, but at least you won't just be going back and forth agonizing over it while you're there.

Two things that might be making it feel cramped: the size of the bezel and the height of the trackpad. Once you use it for a while, you would barely notice either.

That will probably be the best thing for me to do. The 11'' feels small compared to the 13'' and the 13'' feels too big next to the 11''. It's like a paradox. The bezel I am actually ok with. If I had to name two things that make it feel cramped, it is easily the height of the trackpad, and oddly enough, the size of the palm rest for the keyboard. But it only feels cramped when looking at the size of the 13'' palm rest, which I can say is quite a bit larger than my own 13'' Pro.

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
That will probably be the best thing for me to do. The 11'' feels small compared to the 13'' and the 13'' feels too big next to the 11''. It's like a paradox. The bezel I am actually ok with. If I had to name two things that make it feel cramped, it is easily the height of the trackpad, and oddly enough, the size of the palm rest for the keyboard. But it only feels cramped when looking at the size of the 13'' palm rest, which I can say is quite a bit larger than my own 13'' Pro.

Yeah, it's pretty big. When I compare the footprint of my old 15.4" PC to my MBA, there's not that much of a difference. But the weight difference is incredible which pushed me away from the 15" rMBP at the time. I also didn't want to be an early adopter. The minimal footprint of the 11" is awesome. Chances are, you'd be able to adapt to the shorter trackpad and palm rest within a week or two of ownership.

lZyFadN.jpg

The rounded edges of the PC make it look like the two computers aren't quite lined up, but they are.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
This is the way I see it.
I love my iPad 4 with Retina Screen, I am very happy with the screen size, the 11" screen is bigger than my iPad, that said, if you have an iPad, and LOVE it, I think you will love the 11" MBA. THINK ABOUT IT, a full fledged computer, just a little bit bigger than an iPAD, all wrapped up in a sweet ,light,package, you want
power, bump up to a i7 Processor, 8GB of RAM AND 512 SSD :eek:, and laugh out loud,every time you pick it up, when that happens,you will become a zealot , and avid backer of the BEST Laptop, Apple has ever made.
What a wonderful, glorious sweet package, and as powerful as you want!

I know, everyone says the 11" & 13" are going away, I say,not with the sales they have garnered, I feel The AIR LINE UP will be the 11",12" Retina, 13 ",iPAD AIR,5.7" iPhone AIR, and next year, the larger 12" iPad Air Professional,with the 11 &13 " Airs joining the "RETINA" ranks in 2015. EVERYTHING named AIR, will have a Retina screen. As will every MBP.

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Yeah, it's pretty big. When I compare the footprint of my old 15.4" PC to my MBA, there's not that much of a difference. But the weight difference is incredible which pushed me away from the 15" rMBP at the time. I also didn't want to be an early adopter. The minimal footprint of the 11" is awesome. Chances are, you'd be able to adapt to the shorter trackpad and palm rest within a week or two of ownership.

The rounded edges of the PC make it look like the two computers aren't quite lined up, but they are.

The footprint of the device is really large from what I can tell using it at the store and comparing it to my own system. I am still waiting for Apple to just get rid of those bezels and shrink them to the size of the 13'' rMBP. Hopefully less. I think I mentioned it earlier, but when I was at the Microsoft Store I saw a Dell laptop with the body of the 11'' Air, but a 13'' touch screen. It was shockingly beautiful. Edge to edge glass with basically no bezels. It was all screen. Apple could honestly do that if they wanted to, even without the glass. I remember the days when the 17'' MBP had that gorgeous antiglare screen add-on with basically no bezels. I think it is obvious I want the 13'' screen, but the 11'' size, but obviously I will have to pick one or the other. Screen or size is kind of what it comes down to.

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
This is the way I see it.
I love my iPad 4 with Retina Screen, I am very happy with the screen size, the 11" screen is bigger than my iPad, that said, if you have an iPad, and LOVE it, I think you will love the 11" MBA. THINK ABOUT IT, a full fledged computer, just a little bit bigger than an iPAD, all wrapped up in a sweet ,light,package, you want
power, bump up to a i7 Processor, 8GB of RAM AND 512 SSD :eek:, and laugh out loud,every time you pick it up, when that happens,you will become a zealot , and avid backer of the BEST Laptop, Apple has ever made.
What a wonderful, glorious sweet package, and as powerful as you want!

I know, everyone says the 11" & 13" are going away, I say,not with the sales they have garnered, I feel The AIR LINE UP will be the 11",12" Retina, 13 ",iPAD AIR,5.7" iPhone AIR, and next year, the larger 12" iPad Air Professional,with the 11 &13 " Airs joining the "RETINA" ranks in 2015. EVERYTHING named AIR, will have a Retina screen. As will every MBP.

You are right, everything basically is "Air" now. I am beginning to think, though, that in 2015 we will no longer have the 11" and 13" Air. Only the 12. Then all they need to do is kill of my current laptop. What have we then? Every product Apple sells will be Retina. Besides, look how much trouble deciding between the 11'' and 13'' is for me. a 12'' right in between is basically perfect. Unfortunately, I don't feel like waiting a year for that to be released, especially at a most likely higher price. Screen resolution has never been a problem for me. I use a 27'' 1080p and that isn't exactly a pixel-dense screen. Don't get me wrong, I love the resolution of my 5S and how I cannot see pixels, but pixels really don't bother me very much.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I know, everyone says the 11" & 13" are going away, I say,not with the sales they have garnered, I feel The AIR LINE UP will be the 11",12" Retina, 13

I do not see them making 3 different Air models. The sales of the Air models have nothing to do with the 11/13, and everything to do with the design and price.

If they kill off the 11 and 13 inch models, and replace them with a 12, everyone who would have picked an 11 or 13 will still go with the 12. For the few that find the 12 too small, they will just go up to the 13 rMBP.

Not saying they will kill off the 11 and the 13, but I think it's highly unlikely that they would keep 3 different sizes.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
If you are traveling a lot with your laptop, the 11" is the one. If this is mainly a home to office (or the local coffee shop) device, the 13 is perfect.
I've had both. I used the 11" when I was traveling a lot for work. Now that I am home more, I love the 13 which I use with a 27" Apple Cinema Display when working at my home office although I find it very portable when I need to take it with me to a clients home.
Both are outstanding devices especially the 2013 and forward models with the lightening fast PCIe SSD's.

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Not saying they will kill off the 11 and the 13, but I think it's highly unlikely that they would keep 3 different sizes.

Exactly. I wish the 12'' was out right now, because I wouldn't need to spend so long trying to decide what to get!

----------

If you are traveling a lot with your laptop, the 11" is the one. If this is mainly a home to office (or the local coffee shop) device, the 13 is perfect.
I've had both. I used the 11" when I was traveling a lot for work. Now that I am home more, I love the 13 which I use with a 27" Apple Cinema Display when working at my home office although I find it very portable when I need to take it with me to a clients home.
Both are outstanding devices especially the 2013 and forward models with the lightening fast PCIe SSD's.

This will be used when I am not at my desk, like going to class, taking notes, writing documents, some movie viewing, and traveling. I will also dabble into video and photo editing when I am not at my desk, but not very often will I do that. This entire week I have been gone on a little vacation, and the whole time I have been using this 13'' MBP. I find it way too heavy and thick for me to enjoy using it when laying in bed or on my lap. Obviously, both models of the Air will eliminate this problem.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
13" all the way

I had an 11", then I got a 13" - OMG I'm such a 13" fan now. Size does matter.

Let's go through the facts:

• Bigger screen
  • more pixels - 1366x768 is not enough
  • much better battery life
  • Speakers are louder
  • Not that much heavier or larger in size
  • 13" 13" 13" is awesome

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
OMG I'm such a 13" fan now.
[/LIST]

I can tell xD

I am glad you like it! I just don't know about the 13'' size. It is a little bit large. If it were a tad bit smaller, say, rMBP size, that would be amazing. In all honesty, if I had the money for the 13'' rMBP, I would buy it. Unfortunately I do not.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I can tell xD

I am glad you like it! I just don't know about the 13'' size. It is a little bit large. If it were a tad bit smaller, say, rMBP size, that would be amazing. In all honesty, if I had the money for the 13'' rMBP, I would buy it. Unfortunately I do not.

How much do you have to spend?

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I had an 11", then I got a 13" - OMG I'm such a 13" fan now. Size does matter.

Let's go through the facts:

• Bigger screen
  • more pixels - 1366x768 is not enough
  • much better battery life
  • Speakers are louder
  • Not that much heavier or larger in size
  • 13" 13" 13" is awesome

Of course, size does matter!

2" make a huge difference, generally speaking...

Besides, monitor of MBA is more reliable than retina monitor of MBP....If you disagree, simply read relative comments and you will feel happy with your less impressive MBA monitor....

However, that doesn't mean MBA must stay with this old tech monitor forever....APPLE should prioritize its monitor replacement as soon as possible....also, selection of a reliable manufacturer is a very important issue, too! Personally, I am not happy with LG ips panels, you? :cool:

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013

My main gripe with that is that it is 2012. I mean, the 8GB of RAM is a pretty nice incentive for that, but I really want the battery life of Haswell and the faster PCI-e SSD's

----------

I am not happy with LG ips panels, you? :cool:

I was reading about how with the Airs, the SSD's and displays were really a luck-of-the-draw kind of situation :eek: Some people wanted the Samsung displays with the Samsung SSD's, while others wanted the LG display with a Toshiba SSD.

JPamplin

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Nashville, TN
About $1000. That puts the Retina almost too far out of reach. Maybe refurbished.

Take a chance on Craigslist. I just bought this 2013 13" MBA with every BTO option (i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD, Applecare until June 2016!). Such a config costs $2,000 + tax on apple.com today. It was an inspired deal - $900. Not stolen!

Seriously, try it.

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
You got quite the deal there! I am personally not a fan of Craigslist so I don't know if it is for me but I will definitely take a look after hearing your deal!

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
You got quite the deal there! I am personally not a fan of Craigslist so I don't know if it is for me but I will definitely take a look after hearing your deal!

Not all CL users are shady. I have bought and sold many items on CL. Some of the best deals I've ever gotten on electronics have been on CL.

TheTekJake

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
I just checked. Nothing good in my area. Man, I wish I could get a deal like that for $900! I will check again but I am not sure there is anything good.

OK, updated this.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/sys/4576676666.html

(I obviously live in San Diego) I found this, but things like this always seem so shady to me. If it is brand new, why is it $450 off list price? And why did the seal have to be broken for pictures? Let me know if any of you think this is a good deal. Or if not, I'd love if somebody could help me find a better deal from somebody else.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.