11" vs 13" same specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stanny, Oct 21, 2011.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

I see that I can upgrade the 11" to 256gb SSD and also 1.8ghz Core i7. That would make it exactly the same as the 13" maxed out. Is it in any way different except the screen size? Cause I mostly use it connected to an external display anyway.

2. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

The keyboards are also different sizes too. The machines should perform pretty similarly but I imagine that the 11" will get hotter because it is more confined and running the same power. The battery life on the 13" will also be much better because it won't run the fans as much and it has a larger battery than the 11" anyway

Maybe someone who has had/owns both could tell you their findings

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the 11" display has a different DPI as well.

Edit:
    You also get an SD card slot in the 13", and a longer lasting battery

4. ejisfun macrumors regular

The keyboard is only slightly different, as the space bar row is not as tall and the function keys are smaller. All the main keys are the same size.

Also, the trackpad is a bit shorter on the 11".

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

6. stanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Screen size, battery life and keyboard size all does not matter to me as I plug the device in 95% of the time to an external monitor, power source and use my Bluetooth keyboard. So I guess it's 11" then? However I am worried about the heat issue as I do run some Flash vids sometime and game such as Starcraft 2 occasionally.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

The Airs seem to do fine. Just get the one you really want. They will both perform ok and have effectively the same features. Just get it on which size you prefer.