11 x 17 scanner?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NoMoreWhispers, Jul 12, 2009.

1. NoMoreWhispers macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

(sorry if I put this in the wrong section)
    I want to buy a 11'' x 17'' scanner for large illustrations, but every store I've been to (J N R, Best Buy, etc.) only has the 8.5 x 11 scanners! I'm going crazy trying to find a good one online, but even that seems impossible!! I wanted to buy this one but the review said you need a specific SCSI device, which most of todays pc's don't have!
    Does anyone know where I can get a good 11 x 17 or even 11 x 14 scanner? I would really be greatful for any help from you guys! Thanks!

;)

2. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

despite what the "CNET product brief" says, if you click and read "see full specs" for that scanner at that site, it says it also has a usb interface;

and that's confirmed at Epson's own site epson GT 20000

(note that CNET's page says they haven't actually tried this product.....it looks like their software picked up the scsi info but missed the USB info....in any event you could call epson to confirm if you still have doubts)

it's a shame 11 x 17 scanners are so expensive or I would get one myself

3. NoMoreWhispers thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh...thank you for pointing that out...I may purchase it if you can plug it into your laptop with a usb....it's just confusing when different reviewers say different things!!!
    Thank you again for pointing that stuff out...at $999 (at newegg.com) I want to make sure it will work with my friends wacom laptop!

:D

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If you really need a 17x11 scanner, get one, but I've had success with using Photoshop's auto stitching feature to piece together a poster scanned on my 8.5x11 scanner.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes, i know what you mean!

here's a cheaper scanner that does A3 (11.7" x 16.5").....so maybe it would work for you??? I've never used this brand and only noticed it because it scans the size range you're interested in....plus it's a lot cheaper Mustek ScanExpress A3 USB 1200 Pro Newegg has it at $159.99

6. NoMoreWhispers thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG I was going to purchase a Mustek on Amazon! I think it's even the same model lol
    I actually cancelled it though, and went ahead and purchased the original one I looked at, the EPSON GT-20000. Once you pointed out it did USB, I read through the rest of it, and it seems to be sturdy and better quality. I've read Mustek is good but can be iffy. And I know pricier often doesn't mean better, but the EPSON looks like it'll last for a long time.
    Again, thanks for your help

:D

dacreativeguy- yeah that would be a good solution but this is for my friend who is a freelance cartoonist and probably wouldn't appreciate having to do that all the time.