Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vfr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2011
Wife text me that there's about 100 people waiting in line for the ipad at the apple store. So I call the store.

ME: How many black Ipad 2 16gb are there?
Apple Store: We can't give out quantities over the phone. There's a long line forming and your welcome to come wait in line.

WTF? How can they not tell me how many Ipad's are there. If there are 10, I'm not going to drive an hour through traffic to wait in line. Just venting.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I understand you're mad, but it's something that they've never done. I have been to many launches at the Apple store, and they usually have enough stock for everyone the first night. So if you go, you should be just fine. Good luck!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Not sure that's the case if all those stores on the east coast are selling out two hours in.

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Try waiting 3 f'n hours in line for the 64gb 3G AT&T and having ALL AT&T models sell out when you're 20 people from the door at the Apple store because the freackin Canadians crossed the border (to Buffalo) to get them 2 weeks early. I'd say at least half the line (which was HUGE) was Canadians.

I'm totally pissed off right now.

Apple could have saved a lot of peoples time and anger by declaring what they had in stock before 5pm, or better yet giving out tickets specific to each model to those in line so you don't stand there and get screwed in the end.

Total waste of time. I'm so pissed I think I'm going to skip the 2nd generation entirely.

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah they ran out of ATTs real fast at the Orland park store, the 24th person on line wanted a ATT and they were all gone!! :eek: I was really surprised!

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
Total waste of time. I'm so pissed I think I'm going to skip the 2nd generation entirely.

Look, i can see why you would be mad, but...

...because other people wanted something you wanted you will no longer want it? Because they got it before you? Because it was in demand? Because Apples doesn't have a magic fairy that grants iPad wishes at the door so they never have supply issues? I mean, what is the reasoning here exactly?

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Look, i can see why you would be mad, but...

...because other people wanted something you wanted you will no longer want it? Because they got it before you? Because it was in demand? Because Apples doesn't have a magic fairy that grants iPad wishes at the door so they never have supply issues? I mean, what is the reasoning here exactly?
No, because Apple pissed me off by herding us up like sheep, without ANY type of system for inventory control and failed to restrict sales to US customers in border cities.

I woulda been fine if they went down the line before 5pm and handed out tickets for whatever inventory they had, letting people know in advance whether they were going to get the model they wanted or not or if they were just wasting their time.

This launch was a cluster****. I can spend my money elsewhere. I don't need the iPad. It's just a toy to me. Apple treated us like cattle in a slaughterhouse, **** that.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

Good for you. How about emailing apple to tell them you don't like being made a fool of. Ask them why they did do this like all of their other launches where online orders arrived the same day as in store purchases.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
No, because Apple pissed me off by herding us up like sheep, without ANY type of system for inventory control and failed to restrict sales to US customers in border cities.

I woulda been fine if they went down the line before 5pm and handed out tickets for whatever inventory they had, letting people know in advance whether they were going to get the model they wanted or not or if they were just wasting their time.

This launch was a cluster****. I can spend my money elsewhere. I don't need the iPad. It's just a toy to me. Apple treated us like cattle in a slaughterhouse, **** that.

Oh yeah, I can see that. Screw those commie canadians anyway, America gets first dibs, amiright?

Now go read the threads where other stores did hand out tickets, and screwed that up, and made people mad anyway. Look, things are complicated. Stuff doesn't always work out. If that is all it takes to ruin your day, you should talk to your agent, cause I guess someone told you life was fair. You should get a refund.

The good news is that not only can you spend your money elsewhere, you can spend it another time too. If the iPad is so unimportant to you that it is a "toy" and you don't need it, why are you so pissed off about it right now? Why where you even in line on launch day?

Should have bought a xoom while you were in line.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

So you waited on line for a toy you really didn't want. OK.

patp

Apr 10, 2008

Sounds like you should've gone to Best Buy. They handed put tickets, asked everybody in line what they wanted. Well if you decide to skip on the iPad 2, that's fine. It'll mean one mire for me!

patp

Apr 10, 2008
Oh yeah, I can see that. Screw those commie canadians anyway, America gets first dibs, amiright?

Now go read the threads where other stores did hand out tickets, and screwed that up, and made people mad anyway. Look, things are complicated. Stuff doesn't always work out. If that is all it takes to ruin your day, you should talk to your agent, cause I guess someone told you life was fair. You should get a refund.

The good news is that not only can you spend your money elsewhere, you can spend it another time too. If the iPad is so unimportant to you that it is a "toy" and you don't need it, why are you so pissed off about it right now? Why where you even in line on launch day?

Should have bought a xoom while you were in line.

Just to confirm, there are plenty of Xooms at Best Buy available. :D

junker

macrumors 6502
I'm not that pissed about not getting one, but yeh it was annoying how all the places had no idea about quantity - but were willing to make you stand around and hour or so before they'd tell yuo they were out. Illogical...How did they know they were out if they didn't know how many they had?

I went to Best Buy Near chapel hill - I was about 5 people from the last one.

Went to Wal-mart - they didnt have any

At&t store -worthless. I could order online and get it in 15-21 days.

Apple store at the mall - 200+ folks in line when I arrived... line moved fairly well, Then the announcement came. " We're sold out of blah blah" they announced twice. the first time was not the model I was seeking...but the second one was. Drat. Worst part was, I was the 3rd from the last person!

grrrrr.

Kinda of lame for us but I guess good for apple....sure wish I had bought that stock back in 2007 when I had the money. I think they were around 90 bucks a share.

Drat!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Try waiting 3 f'n hours in line for the 64gb 3G AT&T and having ALL AT&T models sell out when you're 20 people from the door at the Apple store because the freackin Canadians crossed the border (to Buffalo) to get them 2 weeks early. I'd say at least half the line (which was HUGE) was Canadians.

How could you tell they were Canadians? Was it the flappy heads and beady eyes?

Obviously, you need to Blame Canada for this.

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
How could you tell they were Canadians? Was it the flappy heads and beady eyes?

Obviously, you need to Blame Canada for this.

It is easy to tell they were canadian, first of all they were polite, second of all they commented that the below freezing weather in Buffalo was a pleasant warming trend. Lastly one tripped and hurt himself, and was under the impression that the medical system would actually take care of his injuries.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
So in two weeks you can cross the border into Canada and, by getting there early enough, you can buy one that would have gone to a Canadian. You are guaranteed to get an AT&T compatible 3G model :D. Just stay away from Winnipeg please. ;)

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010

I'm totally pissed off right now.

Apple could have saved a lot of peoples time and anger by declaring what they had in stock before 5pm, or better yet giving out tickets specific to each model to those in line so you don't stand there and get screwed in the end.

blame canada, blame canada
with all their beady little eyes
an' flapping heads so full of lies
blame canada, blame canada
we need to form a full assault, its canada's fault

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Wife text me that there's about 100 people waiting in line for the ipad at the apple store. So I call the store.

ME: How many black Ipad 2 16gb are there?
Apple Store: We can't give out quantities over the phone. There's a long line forming and your welcome to come wait in line.

WTF? How can they not tell me how many Ipad's are there. If there are 10, I'm not going to drive an hour through traffic to wait in line. Just venting.
Is the title of your thread your IQ?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It is easy to tell they were canadian, first of all they were polite, second of all they commented that the below freezing weather in Buffalo was a pleasant warming trend. Lastly one tripped and hurt himself, and was under the impression that the medical system would actually take care of his injuries.

You win, sir. You win. :D

bluemonkeyguy

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
And the messed up part, they did give us tickets for the models but when I went up to get the one I wanted (32gb Black no 3g) they said they were all out, and I WAS LIKE 40th IN LINE WTF, 4 hours of my life gone. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

appleisgod

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Launches

It's funny how many people are pissed about this launch. I don't know if they all ignored every other launch in recent apple history, but this is how they all are. Unknown quantities, long lines, and everything else. It's how apple rolls.

jasonrhcp

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
I stood in line at the apple store for 7 hours. They also handed out tickets for us. I've heard there are stores that restock tomorrow. I know that the local best buy by my house has them tomorrow.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
... because the freackin Canadians crossed the border (to Buffalo) to get them 2 weeks early. I'd say at least half the line (which was HUGE) was Canadians.

Those FFFing hosers. We should just nuke'em!!! :rolleyes:

... because Apple pissed me off by herding us up like sheep...

No, you herded you up like a sheep. It's a freaking device. It won't prevent Global Warming, or even stop you from wetting your pants! Whether you get it today, or three weeks from today, I seriously doubt the quality of your life will be adversely affected, unless your life is extraordinarily shallow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.