Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I'm constantly searching for a case that best suits what I want. Found it, (the Vaja one) but it'll take 35+ days to get to me. So, I decided to stick with the Targus Vuscape in the meantime because it's similar. I liked the Smart Cover, but didn't like that it didn't have much protection. But what I did like was the instant on and off. So, I ran over to my local Staples and bought a magnetic roll with adhesive back for $5, broke two pieces off, stacked them and stuck them on the inside of my Targus case cover. It worked perfectly! I'm sure you can do this wish any case. I have an SGP screen protector on, and the magnets are soft, so I'm not worried about scratching my screen. See attached pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 378

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I did the same yesterday but mine came out uglier :)
I used BestBuy's Griffin case and half of magnet from one of those refrigirator magnets. It works good but not thin enough so i had to keep it outside secured via gaffer tape. I might try your idea. If ipad doesn't have screen protector will this tape scratch it?

Attachments

• IMG_20110325_214002.jpg
    IMG_20110325_214002.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 195

sam2428

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Houston, TX
Cool idea man! I was thinking about using the same kind of magnets to make it work as well, but was too lazy to try it (plus i have the smart cover on so i never bothered).

But it does stick out some and look awkward. You should try making it a little more discrete some how. I know this is a stretch, but i was thinking about cutting into a case and inserting the magnet into so it sits flush? Something like that perhaps. Its probably not worth the trouble though unless you enjoy being crafty. :D

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I was searching for some cloth tape, but didn't want to go nuts... yet :) Gaffers tape would def work! I'll have to hit up a buddy out here in LA. I don't want to cut the case because I'll prob just Ebay it when my Vaja arrives.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I did the same yesterday but mine came out uglier :)
I used BestBuy's Griffin case and half of magnet from one of those refrigirator magnets. It works good but not thin enough so i had to keep it outside secured via gaffer tape. I might try your idea. If ipad doesn't have screen protector will this tape scratch it?

The magnets are soft, I don't think they'd scratch, but I always use SGP or Powersupport screen protectors to keep my iPad perfect for better resale value next year.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Cool idea man! I was thinking about using the same kind of magnets to make it work as well, but was too lazy to try it (plus i have the smart cover on so i never bothered).

But it does stick out some and look awkward. You should try making it a little more discrete some how. I know this is a stretch, but i was thinking about cutting into a case and inserting the magnet into so it sits flush? Something like that perhaps. Its probably not worth the trouble though unless you enjoy being crafty. :D

The problem in (for my case) if I cut it open it'd still have to be thick, that's why I had to double up the magnet. I'm sure there are workarounds for either method. Maybe even cut a little hole, stuff it in there and then sew it back up.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Problem i have with smartcover is lack of back coverage. If I go with smart cover and something else for the back I'm looking at around $80 which is a bit much

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I did a thread on doing this last week. it works great and all but in the end i returned my Targus case and just got a real smart cover.

Cool. Just read your stuff. I sent back my Smart Cover. The lack of protection was a deal breaker for me.

That Targus case is VERY hard to come by these days! So far so good for me. It's working well and I'm diggin' it. I could probably cut the magnet down even smaller and it'll still work. The magnet roll I bought has adhesive on it and seems to be holding very well (knock on wood).

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
I'm waiting for Power support to release one so I can get it.

Cool. Yeah, I used to get PS all the time, then switched to SGP cases and screen protectors. They usually ship in a day to me here in LA. I've had great luck with their products.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
That Targus case is VERY hard to come by these days! So far so good for me. It's working well and I'm diggin' it. I could probably cut the magnet down even smaller and it'll still work. The magnet roll I bought has adhesive on it and seems to be holding very well (knock on wood).
Yeah. I was thinking its a rush job case that would stink but that case is fantastic. It's slim, fits perfect, has great padding and look professional. All for the same price as a smart cover (+magnet and tape)

Have you considered cutting open the case and sewing the magnet inside? If I kept that case I would've done that to make sur the magnet doesn't keep slamming th glass.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Yeah. I was thinking its a rush job case that would stink but that case is fantastic. It's slim, fits perfect, has great padding and look professional. All for the same price as a smart cover (+magnet and tape)

Have you considered cutting open the case and sewing the magnet inside? If I kept that case I would've done that to make sur the magnet doesn't keep slamming th glass.

I did think about it, but don't want to ruin the case. I'm not a very good seamstress :) I ordered a Vaja, and I'll prob sell the Targus in a month or so. Also, the magnets need to fill the gap between your cover and the iPad surface, so they have to be doubled as in the picture (like I did, or maybe even tripled in some cases).

Also, I just cut the square to 1/4 the size of my original pics earlier in the thread and it still works! Looks like you can go pretty damn small to get the same smart cover effect. I've attached a new pic here.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    630.6 KB · Views: 191

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007

Oh, and BTW, the magnet I'm using is SOFT. I can bend it to break the amount I need or cut it with scissors. Between that and a screen protector, I'd be really surprised that the glass would break (unless you sit on the iPad!!).

sheepopo39

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2008
That's a very interesting method to trigger the screen on/off function, without the smart cover. My only concern would that there would now be a slight elevation between the cover and screen. Then again, the magnet is probably rather small.

eg2007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Revised yet again!

So, I found a hole puncher in my toolbox, punched out two circles, stacked them and wallah! Super tiny, works perfectly.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    653.8 KB · Views: 209

archdelux

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
i did this too with my targus case and then I found this thread..great minds think alike!

Have you guys who have been using this set up for a while noticed any issues? I am just a bit nervous using a magnet (albeit a soft, small one) for my ipad given that it is 'off-label' use.. do you think it will cause any damage to the electronics within?

Last edited:

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I went to Michael's and got magnets.
Promag 0.5in x 4in

The magnets are soft and can be cut with scissors. I can't see they would ever scratch anything. I bought thinner but with my case did not work well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.