113 million users, so why no Yahoo Groups app?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by caubeck, May 27, 2010.

1. caubeck macrumors 6502

"It was reported that in August 2008 Yahoo! Groups had 113 million users, 9 million Groups, and was available in 22 languages" (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_Groups)

You'd think, with 113 million users at last count, there'd be at least one Yahoo groups app for the iPad, 3rd party or otherwise.

2. gillybean macrumors 6502a

3. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that could apply to any number of websites and webapps for which installable apps now exist. Having used Yahoo Groups on the iPhone and iPad I feel a dedicated app would make the experience much better.

4. pooryou macrumors 65816

Number is probably way inflated. I'm sure the number of active, non-spam users is far, far lower.

5. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but there are no pure spam groups for masochists as far as I know, so even a tenth of those claimed would be quite a few.

6. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

And it also applies to many more websites for which no apps exist. Also, Yahoo Groups sucks.

7. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

It depends what you use it for. I've been using it for ten years and it has been extremely useful at times.

8. The General macrumors 601

wtf is yahoo groups? i have never heard of it.

9. Yojiirill macrumors regular

Keep in mind that Yahoo is now owned by Microsoft.

10. drjsway macrumors 6502a

No, it's not.

11. animatedude macrumors 65816

Yahoo In the last 2 years killed a few products and improved many of their products (e.g. Yahoo iPhone app) but they seem to ignore Yahoo groups... Any idea if they kill that one too or they will have an app for it?

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Neither Google or Yahoo advertise their group services anymore. Message boards like this one has been the way forward for many years now. Easier to manage, and less unread messages are being sent out and delivered to non-readers and wasting data.

They can't kill it because there are too many people who still depend on these systems, but at the same time, they don't want to work on it anymore. So they're actually slowly trying to push people out with less than desirable updates.

I predict that they get rid of them within the next 5 years.