Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbarron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I'm surprised there hasn't been a post about this product being discussed over at Quirky. It has made it through the idea and comments stages and is now in pre-sale. Looks very functional and keeps a minimalist approach. Nice price, too!

http://www.quirky.com/products/114-iPad-2-Accessories

(Sorry, I couldn't insert a picture. If someone can grab one and paste it in, it would be appreciated.) Here's the description.

Fender, a clear plastic bumper that protects your iPad 2’s sides and corners, without encasing the entire unit. Fender complements and is fully functional with the Apple Smart Cover, for times when you also need front coverage.

Features:
- Made of clear frosted ABS plastic with grey rubber corners and a thin grey rubber border on the back.
- Snaps in place to fit the iPad 2.
- Rubber corners protect from bumps and falls, while a rubber border grips tabletops.
- Fully functional with the Apple Smart Cover.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
this is actually the coolest cover i've seen. have to order this one.

Product__Secondary_04-2.jpg

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
The problem with that site is that it usually takes forever to get something made and delivered.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
Just need to add a metal plate on the back so that the smart cover holds to the back of the ipad when flipped flat against the back of the ipad and then I would order one too. I hate it when the smart cover folds over your hand when holding the ipad.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
They had the chance to address the biggest annoyance for me with the iPad 2, and that is the pointy edges, but based on those product shots it would appear they designed the edges of the case to be just as sharp. I don't understand that. Am I the only one who finds the pointy edges uncomfortable after a while?

PacMookBro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2007
not good enough...

They had the chance to address the biggest annoyance for me with the iPad 2, and that is the pointy edges, but based on those product shots it would appear they designed the edges of the case to be just as sharp. I don't understand that. Am I the only one who finds the pointy edges uncomfortable after a while?

In my humble opinion, the corners where Smart Cover meets seem pointy and still get dents when hit at the right place at right force. It does seem to provide a bit more protection than film protection but that is basically all. Yet another hyped-up iPad accessory. Not worth the price. For the best protection spend a bit more and get folio-style cover like Maroo or Sena.

How about some stress tests on the product? Try dropping it at some angles?

What do you think?

Last edited:

rayjay86

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Any updates on this product? I bought a Portenzo case for my iPad and initially loved it because it looked so sleek and cool but now I just find it bulky and heavy. It may be nice to take into meetings but I take my MBA13" everywhere now and use my iPad mainly for reading and movies.

I really liked this Fender approach though. I have a screen protector on the back of mine from BSE and am hoping the fender fits over top of that.

Matrook

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
I received mine yesterday and I'm totally unsatisfied because when I did the presale I was # 98 so the product was looking great, but later on they modify it and left the back unprotected and just cover the corners so I had to call them and request returning label !

Matrook

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Does anybody know where i can buy this case??
PLease reply
Thanks

You can get it from their online sit, but trust me they changed the design completely, when I did the pre order I was so motivated for it however when I got mine I was so disappointed due to the cheap material did they use so I had to return it.

Anyhow it's your call if you like go head and buy it !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.