Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I was using iMac Fan Control by Derman Enterprises which is really good, but the preferences panel is not 64bit (a bit annoying) and the HD temperature sensor doesn't works for the new models of iMacs.

So, I did some changes on this great application. I am not sure if this sensor will work on the newest models of iMac (or if you have replaced the factory hard drive), but I hope so (if it did not work you will have no trouble at all, only a fixed speed for the HD fan).

First, you need to download and install the iMac Fan Control (if you don't use it yet).

After installing it, download the modified files (include sources) on this post and them double click extracted preference panel, and for the Daemon you do the following, in the terminal:

Code:
sudo killall FanControlDaemon
sudo mv [U]/FanControlDaemon[/U] /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon/FanControlDaemon
sudo chmod 0755 /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon/FanControlDaemon
sudo chown root:wheel /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon/FanControlDaemon

For the second command, you should put the extracted FanControlDaemon in your "/" dir ("Macintosh HD" root, or edit the command with the file path).

Just reboot and you are done with it, now you can just configure in the Preferences or leave it alone.

I leave my iMac powered on 24/7 and it's always cool as if I just started using it.

The best settings (at least for hot country) is:

Lower Temp Threshold: 46C
Upper Temp Threshold: 85C

Slowest CPU Fan Speed: 1200
Slowest HD Fan Speed: 1600
Slowest DVD Fan Speed: 1600

This will keep your iMac aways cool, even in 100% full load.
The HD + DVD (mostly) fans will keep your GPU cool too.

If you try please leave a comment. (Specially about the settings/results and if the HD temperature is working fine, and what is your model).

Soon as I get some free time I will change the Daemon to work on 64bit too.

Last edited:

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I like it better than SMC fan control. Just need that HD sensor fixed and it will be perfect.

Are you with an 2011 iMac? The did you tried this one I posted and are not getting temperatures for the HD?

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Yes and yes.

Edit - fixed it. Must have been a typo on my part.

Nice, so it is working for 2009 and newer iMac. Older iMacs can just use the original Daemon and it will works too.

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
What is the temp from each one?

What is the time from the Smart from iStat to update it ?

ycwee37

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
hello there, i'm a new mac user and i just downloaded this fan control.
it seems to be cooler (just a bit though ) than before, and i can hear the fan now as well~:cool:

i'm using the base 27'' mid 2011 btw.

bakura

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
Hi,

This application is really good. However, the i7 is really cool and 950 rpm like before was enough. However the slowest speed I can set is 1200 RPM. Is it possible to have lower fan speed ?

Last edited:

gor

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
The HD temp on it differs from the HD temp in istat nano by about 6c. Not sure which one is right.
In iStat, HD temp is from S.M.A.R.T. and is read at 1-5minutes, in FanControl is from the iMac sensor; anyway, no big difference...

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hi,

This application is really good. However, the i7 is really cool and 950 rpm like before was enough. However the slowest speed I can set is 1200 RPM. Is it possible to have lower fan speed ?
It is possible, but is better to keep the processor aways cool, intease to start trying to cool it when it is hot.

In iStat, HD temp is from S.M.A.R.T. and is read at 1-5minutes, in FanControl is from the iMac sensor; anyway, no big difference...

You will will see the difference after some hours of use.

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
So, which temp is true ? I have nearly 7 degrees of difference (iStat is around 48, Fan Control 41).

iStats uses S.M.A.R.T. sensors, and update it in 5, 15 or 60 minutes. So, depending of your ambient temperature, it may be getting cool before iStats update the temperature. Try to see if this is happening.

What is your iMac model?

Take a look on this pic:

33ti2qo.png

The next time when it will update, the HD temperature will be much lower, cause it will be more cool.

I restarted my system 2 hours ago, but it is running 24/7 for weeks.

bakura

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
iStats uses S.M.A.R.T. sensors, and update it in 5, 15 or 60 minutes. So, depending of your ambient temperature, it may be getting cool before iStats update the temperature. Try to see if this is happening.

What is your iMac model?

Take a look on this pic:

The next time when it will update, the HD temperature will be much lower, cause it will be more cool.

I restarted my system 2 hours ago, but it is running 24/7 for weeks.

I have an iMac 2011 i7.

The temperatures are different. Five minutes ago, iStat reported 40°C for the HDD while Fan Control reported 36°C. More than five minutes later (so SMART will update), iStat reported 41 °C while Fan Control 36.5 °C. Higher the temperature by iStat, higher the difference is between iStat and Fan Control.

een1bhs

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
I have an iMac 2011 i7.

The temperatures are different. Five minutes ago, iStat reported 40°C for the HDD while Fan Control reported 36°C. More than five minutes later (so SMART will update), iStat reported 41 °C while Fan Control 36.5 °C. Higher the temperature by iStat, higher the difference is between iStat and Fan Control.

You hit the nail on the head, and if you are wanting to control the HDD specifically a more accurate solution is HDD Fan Control

Also if you have replaced your HDD iMac Fan Control will be setting the fan speed from a completely useless temp value.
This is why HDDFanControl uses SMART.

Last edited:

Hmorrico

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
What exactly does this modification do?
Any chance you made the 64bit version since I think that is the most annoying thing about the original pref pane.

Thanks

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Hi ZeD X.

A few weeks ago, I implemented your changes - to convert from 32b to 64b - on my mid-2010 iMac. It works great. Thanks for sharing this improvement idea. Great stuff....

If wondering, my iMac fan settings (for this month) are:

FanSpeedJune25-2011.png

Last edited:

Hmorrico

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Hi ZeD X.

A few weeks ago, I implemented your changes - to convert from 32b to 64b - on my mid-2010 iMac. It works great. Thanks for sharing this improvement idea. Great stuff....

If wondering, my iMac fan settings (for this month) are

Would you mind sharing the files to make it 64 bit?

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Hi Hmorrico.

For needed code, simply follow the instructions within the opening post (by ZeD X). When I go into my iMac's System preference, it no longer flips to 32bit mode. It remains in 64bit mode. Great work by ZeD X.

Hmorrico

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Nvm, thanks a lot for this mod!!!! I wasnt installing the new pref pane I just switched out the daemon.

Last edited:

ZeD X

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Nice to know that you guys liked it and are keeping your iMac cooler.

@Spike88 - At least you do a lot of hearvy work on your iMac, I think that 1400 minimum CPU Fan speedy is a bit exaggerated.

@thousandhorses - take ca look on the fan speed and tell us with one is too high, and what settings are you using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.