Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Hey Guys,
As you may know from my recent threads, I have been looking to buy a PowerMac G5 sometime in the near future to do some of the things my iBook G4 and eMac can't. I have read that the G5 systems are unreliable, and the G4 systems are real workhorses and super reliable. Recently, I have considered getting a PowerMac G4 MDD, instead of the G5. I am looking at the MDD, since it is the top of the line G4. i can get the G4 for half the price of the G5. The computer will be used for light video editing, photoshop, music, web browsing, and Xcode programming. What do you think I should get?

1. PowerMac G5 DC 2.0GHZ

2. A top of the line MDD.

3. Other PPC Mac???

Bottom line, I am asking for what you guys think would be the best for what I am doing.

Thank You! :apple:

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
I would recommend a decent Dual Processor 2.3 GHz G5. Least problematic than the rest. The MDD is ok, but with mine, i had to do several mods to keep the beast cool and quiet. As for the laptops, In my opinion, i would say anywhere from a 1.3 GHz or higher iBook or Powerbook.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I personally would never touch anything with a G5 chip. Every single computer Apple ever put a G5 in has issues with either the PSU, capacitors or fried boards.

Just look at all the dead G5 or my G5 won't start threads. Even the odd thread asking about a "loud pop".

If I were you I would get 2x G4 Macs and use their power combined together. If that isn't an option for you then I would honestly recommend a used Mac Pro over a G5. Even just a quad Mac Pro would be a screamer beyond anything you can imagine. The G5 is at the core of some of the sketchiest hardware ever made which in turn caused the death of PowerPC chips at Apple.

People who embrace PowerPC should morally shun the G5 for what it did to our beloved RISC platform.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I dunno. Maybe I just got lucky as have many of my fellow associates.. but the G5 dual 2.0 under my desk is almost eight years old and runs like new. I did replace the power supply about three years ago, $150. Replaced original hdd with 1TB Seagate barracuda 7200rpm, $100. Added 4GB crucial ram, $200. But still helluvalot cheaper than a new MP and still a real work horse. What OS can a G4 run I forget? I'm running 10.5.8 which is as stable as Mac OS 10 gets.;)

You could get a machine like mine for around $600, cheaper than the current weak mini.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I say go for the G5. I have had a 1.8Ghz Dual in the past, and now a Dual 2.3 with no problems at all with either or.

The problems with G5s you see are most likely from the liquid cooled models...STAY FAR AWAY FROM THOSE! But as long as you get an air cooled G5, it should give you many years of faithful service with very little problems down the road. A lot of the G5 problems are FUD. My G5 is my main computer, and I prefer using it over my MacBook when I am at home. It is a great computer. I throw videos into Final Cut Express 4 with no issues at all, and it is perfect even with iMovie 08. Don't be afraid to go for the G5.

That being said, the MDD G4 is not a bad machine at all, and I have always admired their looks! I have only used MDDs at school with FCP, and they work just fine, and I was still able to edit HD video on the G4...I am sure you will be ok still with a G4 for at least a couple years.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I think it was the single core 1.8ghz G5 that had the most problems out of all of them... so stay far, far away from it.

And have you thought of picking up one of the core duo mini's or original core 2 duo mini's? They're about the same speed as a G5, but slightly more compatable with current software.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
The G5 i have is a DP 2.5 GHz which i am currently in the middle of converting from water to air cooling.

I have also repaired a few G5's and the most that was wrong with them were a few dead fans.

So i would say if you want a G5, the best one to get would be the AGP 2.3 GHz version since they were the least of the models to have issues.

Here are some stats on the G5's that were problematic.

A = 0-6%, B = 7-12%, C = 13-18%, D = 19-24%, and F = 25% or higher

Power Macintosh G5 (2003)
G5/1.6 single (June 2003), D- (24%, logicboard, hard drive)
G5/1.8 single (June 2003), D+ (19%, logicboard, video card)
G5/2.0 dual (June 2003), F (32%, video card, logicboard)

Power Macintosh G5 (June 2004)
G5/1.8 dual (June 2004), D+ (19%, logicboard, optical drive)
G5/2.0 dual (June 2004), C- (17%, logicboard, hard or optical drive)
G5/2.5 dual (June 2004), F (26%, logicboard, hard drive)

Power Macintosh G5/1.8 Single
G5/1.8 single (Oct. 2004), D+ (19%, hard drive, logicboard)

Power Macintosh G5 (April 2005)
G5/2.3 dual (April 2005), B- (11%, logicboard, power supply)
G5/2.7 dual (April 2005), D (22%, logicboard, power supply)

Power Macintosh G5 Dual
G5/2.0 dual-core (Oct. 2005), C- (18%, power supply, logicboard)
G5/2.3 dual-core (Oct. 2005), C- (18%, power supply, logicboard or optical drive)

Power Macintosh G5 Quad
G5/2.5 quad-core (Oct. 2005), C- (17%, logicboard, power supply)

Note that these stats don't include the LCS failures.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
If you do opt for a G4, make sure you get a Core Image-capable video card! You will likely need to flash it and tape pins if you go for a PC card. This isn't as large an issue if you run Tiger, but a CI-capable video card will alleviate the processor of handling some of those tasks, and thus the system will feel quicker.

Honestly, I'd try to get an early Mac Pro. If it must be PPC, though, or that's too much... I've had decent luck with a dual 1.8 G5.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Go for a first gen Mac Pro imo, around here they can be had for about the same price as a sure-to-be-problematic G5.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
go for the least problematic , and most underrated Mac of all time
the eMac G4 1.42, the last build model of the eMac's, sadly apple discontinued the eMac line , i have 4 of them 2 of them are the very last apple shipped in 2006 after the intel transition :( , comes with superdrive,airport express,ati 9600 (64gb vram) , it can run a second display (screen spannning or mirror) and can be safely and stable overclocked to 1.8 ghz
cost next to nothing now

the eMac 1.42 can take 2 GB ram

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
How would I use the G4s in combination?

Simply by using them in combination and splitting tasks between them. Two computers in this setup make each other faster because one doesn't have to do it all.

Connect them via gigabit ethernet and use VNC to control the 2nd one. That way by running 1 VNC app on your main system you can then run multiple apps on the 2nd and it won't slow down the main one at all. This also prevents the need for a second screen or a KVM.

If you decide to go this route I will happily help you further. This is something I have been doing and developing/evolving for a good 7-8 years.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
the eMac G4 1.42, the last build model of the eMac's, sadly apple discontinued the eMac line , i have 4 of them 2 of them are the very last apple shipped in 2006 after the intel transition :( , comes with superdrive,airport express,ati 9600 , it can run a second display (screen spannning or mirror) and can be safely and stable overclocked to 1.8 ghz
cost next to nothing now

I'd put in another vote for the eMac, used to have one and it worked great. I still regret selling it a little bit, but the 12" PowerBook that replaced it was cool.

But is there a reason why you need a PPC computer I like seeing them put to use and all, but you said you are going to do some Xcode programming so unless you are coding for older hardware you probably want an intel machine for testing and running the latest version of Xcode.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
the eMac G4 1.42, the last build model of the eMac's, sadly apple discontinued the eMac line , i have 4 of them 2 of them are the very last apple shipped in 2006 after the intel transition :( , comes with superdrive,airport express,ati 9600 (64gb vram) , it can run a second display (screen spannning or mirror) and can be safely and stable overclocked to 1.8 ghz
cost next to nothing now

the eMac 1.42 can take 2 GB ram

OP already has an eMac, as his first post says.

I think bang for the least bucks, a dual 1.42 MDD G4 is the best deal, which you can often find for $100 or less, or $150 or so shipped on eBay. The G5's have a million problems with them. Of course there are many out there that have worked faithfully, but the G5 Power Macs have the most problems of any Apple model ever made, and the G5 iMacs also have a million problems.

The G4's on the other hand are solid as a rock, and they are dirt cheap.

That said, the "light video editing" you talked about using it for, what type of resolutions are we talking about? HD? Ask Zen State about editing video on his G4's, I have a G4 (actually a few now) but never edit any video.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Echoing the suggestion for a MDD G4. I'm thinking about getting a dual 1.42 to replace my last-gen G5 if it goes down for the count. The G4s are built like tanks (my dual-800 Quicksilver once had an uptime of nearly two years) and I am a huge fan of that case design.

The air-cooled G5s are great for what they are, but I wouldn't recommend paying much money for one. If you can get one as part of a trade, I'd go that route.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
Echoing the suggestion for a MDD G4. I'm thinking about getting a dual 1.42 to replace my last-gen G5 if it goes down for the count. The G4s are built like tanks (my dual-800 Quicksilver once had an uptime of nearly two years) and I am a huge fan of that case design.

The air-cooled G5s are great for what they are, but I wouldn't recommend paying much money for one. If you can get one as part of a trade, I'd go that route.

Don't get an MDD if you like the quiet life. My Dual 867 MDD is fine in normal use, but as soon as I do video editing (PAL DV and a small amount of 720p on that system, but for HD it really begins to struggle) or audio editing on it and the fans spin up it is incredibly loud. Their not called WindTunnels for nothing (Its about 8 times the noise level of my AGP at least).

For video editing the G5 although a lot less reliable is a lot faster, but for the cost of a decent high-end G5 you can get an Intel Mac Pro 1,1 , which while not PowerPC, is as powerful as a G5 without the boatload of problems and can easily handle HD Video and current software, and XCode 4, which is a massive jump, but better than XCode 3 in my opinion from a getting things done perspective, but thats just me.

Last edited:

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
thanks for all the great responces. eBay has MDD's for really great prices, so good, that I can buy an ACD with it, for the price of the G5! I will buy this computer sometime in the next month or so. Thanks Guys! :D

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
The thing doesn't boot..

Senseless much?

Very senseless given I have seen fully functioning Dual 867s/Dual 1.0s go for about $60, occasionally less, both of which would outperform a dead 1.25 :p and be cheaper as well (since getting the dead one to work might double its price ie you might waste $50 entirely).

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Very senseless given I have seen fully functioning Dual 867s/Dual 1.0s go for about $60, occasionally less, both of which would outperform a dead 1.25 :p and be cheaper as well (since getting the dead one to work might double its price ie you might waste $50 entirely).

I never denied you can get the odd one super cheap. My point is that they gave a dead part Mac as an example for someone who clearly wants one that functions.

In 2006 I bought a 350MHz B&W G3 on ebay for $20. A functional one..

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I never denied you can get the odd one super cheap. My point is that they gave a dead part Mac as an example for someone who clearly wants one that functions.

In 2006 I bought a 350MHz B&W G3 on ebay for $20. A functional one..

I was agreeing with you, and pointing out that he shouldve found a better example given he craigslisted it and seemed to find the only broken MDD on offer for that price..

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
OP already has an eMac, as his first post says

yes i did read that , but the OP said only he got a eMac (usb 2.0 ) and there are 3 of them the 1.0ghz , tha 1.25ghz both with the ati 9200 (32mb vram)
and the 1.42ghz with the ati 9600 (64 vram )

he also said what the computer will be used for

The computer will be used for light video editing, photoshop, music, web browsing, and Xcode programming.
and for his usage of light video editing the1.42 with ati 9600 with 64mb vram is better suited definitely the the other 2 eMac usb 2.0 models
as i know it i run the full AVID suit on 2 of my eMac 1.42's without trouble , sure a modern 2011 iMac i7 will beat them in every aspect , but that does not mean they would be useless for the task

so i cant see anything here listed that a eMac 1.42ghz with 2gb ram and the ati 9600 could not manage even without overclocking

another choice would be a quicksilver upgraded with a freescale 1.8GHz G4 7448 which will definitely even keep up with most G5's and will certainly beat them in reliability , as i got one of them too with the rare 2.0ghz version of that processor (especially in europe this one is extremely rare ) and it could in most cases even keep up with my iMac core duo 1.83 ghz , ok i own a G5 dual core 2.3 too

but all that said i am absolute convinced the eMac 1.42 ghz offers the most bang for the bug

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.