Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dutch site AppleSpot.nl today reported [Google translation] that the next-generation iPod touch is set to debut in September alongside a new iPhone and will offer 3G data connectivity.

According to the report, the new iPod touch will rely on a SIM card to access GSM networks and will be serviced by traditional carriers in much the same way as the iPhone, although presumably with some sort of data-only plan.

4gen_ipod_touch_stacked.jpg

The claim is a dubious one, and AppleSpot.nl has no track record when it comes to rumors, so we are primarily sharing the report for an interest and discussion. The topic of 3G capabilities for the iPod touch has arisen several times over the years, in part driven by the hopes of those who would like an "always-on" data connection without the need for an expensive iPhone contract. While Apple has released 3G-capable iPad models that function in a very similar way and offer no-contract data plans, there has been essentially no reliable information that Apple is indeed working on such capabilities for the iPod touch.

Article Link: Dubious Claim of 3G in Next-Generation iPod Touch

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPod + 3G = iPhone!

They won't add it to the iPod!

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPod + 3G = iPhone!

They won't add it to the iPod!

Why not just buy an iPhone then? :confused:

The ipod has less ram, can't make phone calls, crappy camera, and doesn't look as cool :p.
Maybe with the 3g ipod they're trying to create 2 different versions of the iphone, a cheap one that lacks some features and the expensive one with the full potential.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA

Because iPhone requires voice contract. If you can get 2GB of data at $30/mo or less you can use Google Voice for unlimited texting and get a Skype plan (and link with your GV#) for $2-6/mo. Much cheaper than an iPhone Data+Voice+Text plan.:apple:

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Why not just negotiate data-only iPhone plans with the carriers? This would require a new case to fit the SIM, radio and antenna, and probably a bigger battery, basically making it a completely different device.

...a different device that they already make.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This actually could make sense. iPod Touch WiFi and then iPod Touch WiFi + 3G. Pretty much the same as the iPad. I could see people buying it.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Easy: some of us barely make any phone calls, so a dirt-cheap pay-as-you-go phone makes a LOT more sense, but we're stuck with the pretty expensive iPhone plan because we actually use a lot of data. My wife and I make one, maybe two calls a day each, and they're short ones. AT&T LOVES me and my wife. If there's a 3G Touch, I'm buying one for each of us as soon as I can get out of my iPhone contract, without a doubt. No problem using an ugly dumbphone. I like the Touch more than the iPhone, design-wise, anyway. Bring it on!

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
This doesn't make sense for the carriers. Then they will have people clamoring for iPhone data-only plans. I would much rather pay per minute since I rarely make phone calls. Also, with iOS 5 and iMessage, people wouldn't have to pay for text messages and could just use an iPod Touch or would do a data-only iPhone.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

It would basically be an iPad mini. I think this would be more likely when Apple uses the new LTE chip and only has to produce just one model, presumably without a SIM card.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Because iPhone requires voice contract. If you can get 2GB of data at $30/mo or less you can use Google Voice for unlimited texting and get a Skype plan (and link with your GV#) for $2-6/mo. Much cheaper than an iPhone Data+Voice+Text plan.:apple:

My thought exactly. Maybe this is the iPhone 'lite' that's been rumored for so long. I only make a couple of calls a day, a few texts and use the 3G on my Virgin Mobile android phone for maybe a half hour a day. It doesn't make sense to pay $100 a month for the privilege of an iPhone.

I'm not overly fond of Google, but if Virgin Mobile doesn't get the iPhone when Sprint does and the 3G iPod is real, I'll gladly dump VM and buy an iPod.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This doesn't make sense for the carriers. Then they will have people clamoring for iPhone data-only plans. I would much rather pay per minute since I rarely make phone calls. Also, with iOS 5 and iMessage, people wouldn't have to pay for text messages and could just use an iPod Touch or would do a data-only iPhone.
You can't get a data-only iPhone, and iMessage isn't going to cost anything extra - it's Apple's way of getting around the ridiculous carrier text messaging plans. It makes perfect sense for the carriers - it's another device they can sell plans for. There are plenty of people who would probably respond to this, like my parents who are reluctant to buy an iPhone but would like to have data availability like I have. (They, like I above, don't make many phone calls and just need something cheap for calls.)

Remember, many questioned the need for an iPad 3G plan, but that's a pretty sensible thing to have available now too, isn't it? I know I questioned it but I sure wish I'd just forked over the extra cash for one so I had it available when I wanted it.

troyblinka

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would drop my iPhone for a 3G touch in an instant and just use that with my skype account to makes calls. I would hook up the most basic phone to my cell plan as to not receive a termination fee and then just use that for emergency calling or what not.

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm all for it!

peacenfunk

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
The idea of a 3g ipod touch could work really well not everyone has denspensible amounts of money to keep an iPhone going. Students would buy them. Especially with iMessaging it could give Blackberry Messenger a knock.
I would probably get one. Would want a better camera as well on top

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I like this idea!

"Why not get an iPhone?" As stated above, no call package. Nice for those of us who make few calls.

"It's just a mini iPad!" Yes, and "mini" is the operative word, an iPad that fits in your pocket.

itsalexaye

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Michigan
if your stuck in a contract then the iPod would be cheaper to get and use as a phone and just change your plan over to just data

sounds good to me.

peacenfunk

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
I like this idea!

"Why not get an iPhone?" As stated above, no call package. Nice for those of us who make few calls.

"It's just a mini iPad!" Yes, and "mini" is the operative word, an iPad that fits in your pocket.

An iPad mini would be good to replace the iPod touch if it had the same back casing as the iPad 2. My iPod touch is quite scratched and don't really like it scratched.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
You can get an iPhone and just not get a contract… I hear they've even started selling them SIM-free in America now!

What? Don't want to because they're really expensive? Now, why would a 3G iPod touch be any cheaper?

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
All I seem to see in classes now days are students texting. In Europe, due to cost, texting is far more common for communicating than voice calls. Once you got back to your dorm room or cyber-cafe, you could use the Wi-Fi network for VOIP. Combine it with a voicemail service, like Google Voice or Skype, and it would be better than what was offered pre-advent of the cell phone.

The budget-conscious student would likely find such an option appealing, especially if Apple is able to swing the month-to-month options available for the iPad. If Apple were to make it closer to a $50 option over the non-3G iPod Touch than the iPad's $100, I think it would be a big hit.

rien333

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The Netherlands
If you think about it, it seems pretty logical. It is kind of like a cheaper iPhone, which has been rumored for a long time. What is surprising me is the fact that the site kind of says "Our source is 100% correct and there is noway that there is not going to be a 3G iPod", which is pretty interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.