Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natural scrolling?

• Yes, I'm using the new, natural scrolling

Votes: 391 52.0%
  • No, I'm sticking with the old way

Votes: 361 48.0%

• Total voters

andrew086

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2009
The so-called natural scrolling seems to be to opposite to me. The first thing I did after installing Lion was disable it. Are any of you using it?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
It's so annoying that they would enable it by default, the VERY first thing I did was disable it, but it wasn't immediately clear how to so I had to come here to find out.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Honestly, in the beginning i struggled between Apple's "natural" and the unnatural way of sculling. I was so used to the now "unnatural" version, that it became really weird to think about scrolling inversely. It makes sense when you're touching the screen, but other than that, it didn't make much sense to me. I tried going back to the "unnatural" way, and nothing made sense when i was trying to navigate through the OS.

But it's grown into me, the Desktop switching and just everything makes sense. So yes, i'm using the "natural" version now.

DJRiful

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2011
Awesome for Touchpad or Magic Mouse but if you use your mouse will scrolling wheel... forget about it.

ConnorCG

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
I somehow felt insulted by Apple when I unchecked the 'Natural' scrolling option. It felt like some sort of... I don't know. They should have called it something different I think.

gnagy

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
Sometimes I scroll using the arrow keys. How come the arrow keys don't get reversed to natural?

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I decided that I was going to give it a chance before changing any settings. It drove me so crazy after about 15 mins that I had to switch it. It's just uncomfortable to scroll that way down long webpages on my magic mouse.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Neither way is particularly "natural". I'm using the new style though, I haven't had any difficulties adapting to it.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
No, I'm not using the "natural" scrolling. I work with a PC at work and I don't want to retrain my brain every single day when I go to work and go home. It's annoying enough trying to hit a "Command" key at work when I'm supposed to be hitting the "Control" key. I can't imagine mouse/trackpad movements.

It makes more intuitive sense on a touch screen but not on a separate trackpad/mouse. Because on a touch screen you're actually touching the screen or page that you are scrolling, so it makes more sense to for the "natural" motion. But using a trackpad/mouse, your using an external device so it makes more sense to use the "unnatural" motion.

I'm sure Steve will come up with a clever response to an email from some distraught Mac user. hehe can't wait.

Last edited:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Still with the old. I don't see why I would get comfortable to the new scrolling if there is no benefit other than to say, it scrolls like an iPhone/iPad.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
No only because I have to use a windows PC at work and my brain will get confused going back and forth. If I was OS X only then hell ya I would.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
No only because I have to use a windows PC at work and my brain will get confused going back and forth. If I was OS X only then hell ya I would.

haha.. Imagine your boss over your shoulder trying to show you something and he/she says, "Scroll up" and you scroll down (and vice versa) and he/she is thinking in back of their head, "wow this person doesn't know how to use a mouse"

Last edited:

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Trying to get used to it using my Magic Mouse...I use my iPad and iPhone a lot so it's not that different, but it will take a few days to get used to ...Overall, I like it! :D

DreamscapeRuins

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2011
Inside your mind
Yes. I like it. It took awhile to get used to, but thats normal. It took me awhile to get used to Mac OS in general when I first started using it (about 3 years ago)

I dont know. Change isn't always a bad thing. I like how Apple plays different. Plus, its not that bad once you get used to it.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I tried the natural way, hated it.

Went back to the old way, great.

Then I thought that there must be a reason why it was included and made the default.

Switched back to natural, spent a few hours getting used to it and it very quickly becomes so intuitive and an obvious way of doing things. It makes even more sense with the side swipes for going backwards and forwards in browsing and switching screens etc.

I will be staying with it now and ditching the weird inverted way.

Jason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.