Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Is it just me or does the dreaded 'beach ball' always pop up when using the App Store in Lion?

I have 2 Macs with Lion (one a brand spanking new 13" MBA) and one with Snow Leopard. For some reason, the App Store is always fast in Snow Leopard.

I guess it's just a matter of an upcoming Lion patch to solve this small problem.

Have you observed this yourself?

willharris

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
Same problem

I've observed exactly the same problem since installing Lion on the day of release. Get the wheel of death every time I open the app store, and it is also slow to load subsequent pages after this. It ran absolutely fine under Snow Leopard. Am glad it is just not me! Hopefully a patch will be released soon to fix the problem.

----------------------------------------
27" iMac/MacBook/Ipad2/iPhone4

CaliLove310

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
Cali
I've observed exactly the same problem since installing Lion on the day of release. Get the wheel of death every time I open the app store, and it is also slow to load subsequent pages after this. It ran absolutely fine under Snow Leopard. Am glad it is just not me! Hopefully a patch will be released soon to fix the problem.

----------------------------------------
27" iMac/MacBook/Ipad2/iPhone4

You've pretty much explained exactly what I'm experiencing too.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
I'm sure it will be fixed soon. Their are a lot of people experiencing the same issue, including myself.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Same here on different Macs.

Also: some of the time of the "Purchased" doesn't even load, which makes it a hassle to re-install already purchased apps; and with some apps I simply get weird App Store errors when trying to install them. Oh well :)

Adam14

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
hey there

having the exact same issue here aswell - apps store is so slow to use, constantly getting the horrible beach ball! I even did a clean install and still getting the issue.

It is particularly slow when changing categories and selecting installed purchased etc.

Hope an update comes out soon, no issues in Snow Leopard. Actually, I am beginning to miss SL...hmmm

I

iFanboy

Glad to see this. Thought it was just me experiencing this issue.

I'm sure it will be fixed soon :)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The GM version was grand with me, since I have the RC installed now, it is terribly slow to load. It's as if it needs to load every icon and image - each time a page is loaded or app store is started. It's horrendous.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Yep, I get the "beach ball" every time I start up the App Store for a few seconds before it loads everything. That didn't happen on SL.

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
same here, i5 3.1ghz 27" imac 12gb ram, 10mb virgin media fibre optic internet and it is slow, laggy and choppy

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Looks like a common problem for sure.

Funny, when I first got my MBA 13" a few days ago, everything seemed to be laggy including waking my MBA from sleep. But after a few restarts Lion seems to have improved dramatically.

I'm just hoping the App Store will improve soon. :)

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

No problem here on a 2008 MacBook.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Another "beach baller" here. Everything works OK after that initial lag though, which itself is only a few seconds, but it's enough to be annoying.

jbouklas

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2002
NY
2010 MBP 13" slow here too. It was slow after I upgraded to Lion, and after a few days, I backed up all my data and I did a fresh install from a Lion DVD. Still just as slow.

Go figure.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I have this problem on my 2011 Air. And I have similar problems other places. I honestly think Lion is (mostly) a disaster...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.