$1199 iMac Vs $1499 iMac for video editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrXiro, Dec 7, 2007.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Being that neither of these machines are any good for gaming I was wondering which machine is better for video and picture editing for the buck. I mean 1499 gives me .4 more ghz and a larger HD... but at the end of the day does that really matter?

I'd install Final Cut and Photoshop on it as well as the normal use of web browsing and writing.

What's everyone's opinion on it?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

look at the gpu, its a much better deal for 1499. you will be much happier with that gpu than you would with the one in the base model

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Definetely get the 1499 iMac, then load 4 gigs of ram in that thing for only 100 bucks from a 3rd party company like www.macsales.com

Remember, get the fastest iMac you can possibly afford because you can't change the processor in these machines.

4. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

But GPU doesn't matter at all for 2D work... upgrading the RAM would be the only thing that makes a difference.

Granted the processor is a smidge faster on $1499 version but wouldn't the low end one be better than say a Macbook? I don't actually see a very good reason to spend 300 extra dollars if the performance isn't going to be significantly better... or am I totally off on this?

Wouldn't it be more ideal to get the $1199 version and spend the 300 on 4GB of RAM and a 500 GB HDD?

5. r21hugo macrumors member

r21hugo

6. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Like I said before, you'll regret not getting the 2.4 ghz model, because once you get the 2.2, that's it.

7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Do this and don't look back.

8. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Good points... I'll probably just wait a while longer and get the 24-incher when I make a bit more money... I was just doing some brainstorming about dollar to need ratio.

I hate that video card is a not as nice as should be in the iMac. From a graphics standpoint it should be better than the MBP but it kind of isn't for 3D. The 24-inch has the ability to upgrade right?

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

photo editting? Then stay away form the 20" model. The screen is extremely poor, the way the screen gradients from dark to light based on how you sit will definitely affect your work when color correcting a photo. Its happened to me and its screwed up a lot of my work when I take it home and look at it on a good monitor. Its very difficult if not impossible to get things looking exactly the way you want with the crappy LCD in the 20" one. Definately stick with the 24" one if you plan on doing any kind of graphic work.

10. Floptop macrumors newbie

You can never have enough screen space when doing serious editing.

11. OhYea macrumors newbie

Is the extra cost worth it for home use?

I'm also looking to getting an iMac for video and picture editing. You've already convinced me to get the 2.4ghz, but since we will only being doing home video and pictures is worth the cost of Final Cut, Photoshop and the 24" monitor vs. using iLife and the 24" monitor? I would upgrade the RAM myself.

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The 20" isn't a very accurate screen i suggest saving for a 24" iMac.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The refurb 20" iMac 2.4 is about $100 more than the retail for a new 2.0 model.

Definitely worth the $100 for the larger HD and GPU update alone.