11in Air CPU refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mac.User, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I know that there is generall a small CPU refresh in Apple machiesn before they do a whole new release.

Anyone know when that refresh will be? I am going to be selling(giving really) my 15in Retina to my GF, and am looking to pick up an 11in Air to replace it and compliment my MacMini.

I am just going to get the i5 w/ 128GB and 4GB RAM, I don't do anything more than internet/email, and watch the occasional video by using Chrome to watch via my Chromecast on it. So that should suit my needs for a few years.

If there is a bump in a month or so I may just wait.

2. simsaladimbamba

There will probably be no bump, as Apple does those rarely, and even if, the speed gain will be minimal, especially for your stated needs, which can be fulfilled by the current or past generation of MBAs.

3. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

I realized that, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't one expected very soon. i want to kind of "stretch my dollar" if you will, and if it's just 100mhz, that's 100 more for the same price.

4. robvas macrumors 68020

5. psik macrumors 6502

Very soon there will be a shift though, june is only just over 3 months away

6. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

They seem to do a bump every year as far as I can see - they jsut don't advertise it. A few more decimals of GHz clock speed means alot to some people.

7. simsaladimbamba

Since its introduction in January 2008 the MacBook Air has been updated at the following dates:

• January 2008 - introduction of the MacBook Air, using Penryn architecture and Intel integrated graphics processor (IGP)
    • October 2008 - slight speed bump, same micro architecture (Penryn) as before, included Nvidia IGP
    • June 2009 - Penryn again, slight speed bump
    • October 2010 - redesign, still Penryn, slight speed bump
    • July 2011 - update to the Sandy Bridge micro architecture, Intel IGP
    • June 2012 - update to the Ivy Bridge micro architecture, still Intel IGP
    • June 2013 - update to the Haswel micro architecture

Therefore I do not know, where this "feeling" comes from, that Apple does that.

It probably is from the February 2013 update of the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, which did include minor spec bumps, but no micro architectural change.

Therefore it will take a while until the next update comes along, as Broadwell is expected in Q3 at the earliest, some sources even say 2015, and if that is the case, Apple might provide a small spec bump, which should be focused on base RAM and storage capacity.

8. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

You are not looking at the mid-year refresh. Only the new model refresh. About 6 months after a new CPU Intel generally refreshes the CPU line with a small performance bump, and Apple does the same with its laptops. They don't do an event about it, they just update the store to reflect the change.

9. simsaladimbamba

I have looked at that, and for the MacBook Air that is not the case, except before the upgrades to the ix architecture. When MBAs used the Penryn architecture, every yearly update could be considered a spec bump.

Have a look here for the exact dates on those updates, that site is thorough and they even list silent spec bumps. I have not found any for the MBA, unless you count the education edition in February 2012.

10. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah so it just doesn't apply to the Air. Good to know. Thanks.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As simsaladimbamba already stated the MBA's do NOT get a mid-cycle spec bump. Only the Macbook Pros get Mid-cycle spec bumps. That's not to say Apple couldn't do that, but in 5 years I have followed the MBA I have never seen a mid-cycle spec bump.

What's really strange is (as far as I know) the MBP's are about the ONLY Mac that gets a mid-cycle bump.

12. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

You clearly didn't read the full thread before posting that.

13. psik macrumors 6502

Broadwell is coming in summer whether people want to deny it out not. Why? Use Google search engine, see what the chip maker itself is saying about the release of Broadwell. I mean i agree about not getting the mid cycle bump but in a few months there week be a new model, either mba Broadwell or, rmba Broadwell

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Are you pointing this at me?

Because I did read the entire thread. There has NEVER been a mid-cycle CPU bump for the MBA. Again, the only Macs that get mid-cycle (meaning between refreshes with new processors) is the MBP. If you can find examples of mid-cycle bumps for the MBA I will eat my words.

----------

Really? Because a quick googling and here are my results:

Q3 as of 1/13/14 - http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...oduce_First_Broadwell_Chips_in_Q3_Report.html

"2nd Half 2014" as of 12/11/2014 - http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/2013121101_Intel_Broadwell_lineup_features.html

Q3 as of 1/28/14 - http://www.macrumors.com/2014/01/28/broadwell-ipad-reduce-2014-notebooks/

At best this means it will be released in July, but more than likely it will be August or September. So that means at least 5 months, if not 7!

15. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, it was because above your post is one clearing saying that I understood, and then you still felt the need to say it AGAIN. So either you are the type of person that just likes to rub things in, or you just didn't read.

Being as you are STILL trying to prove to me something that I have already acknowledged. I think it's just that you don't read.

16. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Maybe if you would QUOTE people when you respond we would KNOW what YOU are responding to. And also notice how close are responses were?!?! Did it EVER occur to you that I MIGHT have been responding when you were?

Notice I didn't quote your response because it probably wasn't THERE when I started to respond.

Lord help grant me the serenity....

Edit: And also, if you had done ANY research at any site, everymac.com, wikipedia, etc. etc. You wouldn't even have needed to create this thread....

17. psik macrumors 6502

Yes sir, you are right, will, first intel said there is delay, then they said no delay, now new rumors say delay, I was not caught up to this latest round of news...still I'll be happy if it gets here even in September, i have a feeling all we will see this year for mba is bump to haswell refresh and not Broadwell :-(