11in Base model Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mac.User, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Would this be enough for 3-4 years for a person that just uses Microsoft Office, Chrome (2-10 tabs usually), and Pages?

Or should I get an 8GB model?

2. frankatnikov macrumors newbie

Absolutely enough! I just ordered the same unit from the refurbished Apple store.

3. Mac.User thread starter macrumors 6502

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, it should be enough, but of course, if you can afford to get the model with 8GB, get it.

5. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

If only Apple would put 8gig Airs out to their resellers. That would mean you could then get them cheaper than the usual rate when they are on special which happens with the 4gig models from time to time depending on whose got an Apple sale on.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It will be useful enough for basic tasks such as what you posted provide you're happy with the screen size.

7. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

It'll be just fine. Your uses are quite modest and the machine is more than capable.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Use common sense. What would make you think that it is not enough for those needs?
    You will be basically using it as a posh typewriter with an internet browser.
    An old iphone can do this.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, of course it will 'be enough' for the tasks which you have said you have in mind for the device, and it will be enough for the next while.

However, given the greed of many applications for more and more and evermore memory (not least the improved, updated, upgraded versions of Apple's own systems), with the passage of time, you might be better advised to invest in as much memory as you can afford (say, 8 GB RAM) in order to future proof the device to a greater extent.

10. rekhyt macrumors 65816

I definitely agree. The trend is towards 8GB RAM as a standard now. It previously used to be 4GB in the Vista/Snow Leopard-Lion era, but it has accordingly increased.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Definitely, I have the same model and in addition to the tasks you do, I have used it for 3D modeling/Rendering, Photoshop, Illustrator and some gaming.

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

What are you talking about? MacMall sells 8GB MBAs, as does www.jr.com , B&H Photo Video and Best Buy.