11inch i7 MBA move to 15RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgbr, Nov 22, 2012.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I've got a 2009 Mac Pro and 2012 11inch MBA i7 8gb

I'm finding myself drawn to the 15RMBP.

I thought when I got the MBA it would be perfect mobile device and don't get me wrong it's a fantastic product and very fast.

But I'm finding when on the sofa, awkward to type or hold it, I run out of screen space and squint a lot.

I travel via train about 250 miles, library's, national archives etc so I thought mobility was a top priority but I'm finding when using lots of documents I'd rather have real estate. Couple this with being used to Mac Pros power that I'm struggling to work out what device is right.

I do not like the 13inch so what do people think?

One final thought is having a niggly feeling that the RMBP is too big to haul about it watch a movie on the train or in bed but on the other hand it would be an awesome replacement to the Mac Pro and I can always get an iOS device for more casual things.

Would any rMBP 15inch owners comment on real mobility

( I also lecture, use Pro apps)

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I own the base 11" 2012 and a 2.3 16gb ram RMBP. I find myself using the Air for everything, and am considering getting rid the Pro. I think if you move to the Pro, it will quickly become apparent just how portable the 11" is in the situations you mention.

I can't be bothered taking the Pro somewhere unless it is absolutely necessary, the Air goes with me wherever I go.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

15" and mobility are oxymorons.

Keep the 15" at home, and get an iPad for travel.

Read Estate is never enough, but I have adjusted to it via Mac' smooth gestures/pinch zoom go move about my document and pages.

4. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Disagree with comment, the retina is very, very slim and more portable that my former 13 inch MBP.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

I'd go for it.

Depends what you actually use your machine for, but i can totally relate to the 11" MBA screen simply not being big enough. The ex had one and it is just too small for me.

Doesn't matter how much more portable a machine is if it is useless for your workload...

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I have both and I'd never get rid of RMBP. Screen quality and power, that's it.

7. bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

Based on your description so far, for what you do at home on your desk I would say that your Mac Pro doesn't really need to be replaced yet.

Mobility is an age old contentious issue on these fora, personal preference.

I've not needed the power of the machine -never switched from 9400 to the 9600 GPU as far as I can remember, for example- but the extra screen real estate of a MBP 17" for opening multiple text/pdf documents side by side and occasionally have a video window play in a top corner as well has made getting one well worth it to me.

I've walked for days with the thing in a backpack and have used it on trains without problems but personally found it too cumbersome on some buses and planes. The real benefit has always been after arrival in places where desks and tables are once again available. Arrival is something that critics of larger laptops frequently seem to neglect mentioning when they talk about the disadvantages during travel - as if travel only consists of the time spent in transportation.

Eyesight was never that great and isn't even what it used to be anymore. Libraries and archives seem like a perfect place for a 15" MBP for someone who squints with an 11" Air. These computers are all capable of driving a projector but I've found a slightly larger screen also a benefit when monitoring what comes up next etc during a presentation.

If you do get it, max out Ram because in my experience even multiple big PDF files, open browser tabs combined with flash video simultaneously can already take up quite a bit of memory.

8. hawon macrumors member

15" rMBP is no where close to 11" MBA's mobility but it is really easy to carry around. 4.46 lbs is still very light and it is very thin. I didn't have any problem using 2009 15" mbo and use it in a train or an airplane.

Apple has extended return period now. Get one and give it a try and see if added 2lbs are too much for you or not. My guess is you will love 15" rMBP

9. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback, I've had a good few tests in store and did not find the weight an issue, my only concern was being able to open the Lid enough on trains etc so I can use it.

I was thinking about getting rid of the 11inch with an ipad for media consumption but feel combo of iPod and RMBP might be enough.

I am also considering some of my work photos and PDFs are huge to shunt about so more ram and CPU may help.

I'm doing phd grade research so need to get this right.

10. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

What puts you off a 13" mac? I feel in your situation you should get the 13" MacBook Air..

11. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well screen quality is important to me as im looking at detailed photos or documents.

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You say you don't want a 13" rMBP, but for the needs and wants you listed it sounds like it would be perfect for you.

We have 13 and 15 rMBP's here, I love the 13", its a great computer. Although I did have to exchange my first 13" rMBP the second one I received is perfect, really nice little computer, fair bit of power and incredible screen!

13. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

I don't really have that much experience with the 11" MBA, but my better half has a 13", and i think it's a great machine for her use. Me on the other hand had to get get a 15" (at least i keep telling myself i need it. lol) because of the power and screen. And of course hers is a lot more portable than mine, but when i get mine in a messenger bag or a back pack, it's actually rather portable, at least when you think of what kind of work station you are bringing around.

If you feel like buying a 15" rMBP, go for it, but of course it's going to be more of a hassle bringing it around than a 13".

14. jgbr thread starter macrumors 6502

Im considering waiting for the 2nd Generation Retina MBP as from reading this forums too many issues are happing with it.

I could not cope with laggy graphics when shunting around documents and websites with the frequency I Do.

because it is so hard to get a clear picture it points to more caution then anything.

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You need to get off forums and try one out. I'm living my 15 rmbp, glad I got the Samsung LCD one

16. noteple macrumors 65816

Squinting with a 11" Air, I had the same problem.

I up sized to the 13" Air. It has higher screen resolution and more physical real-estate.
    I have a 15" rMBP and love it for stationary in the field work.
    However for the commute, or class the Air is still my goto machine for portability.

It feels like taking along a clipboard rather than lugging a laptop.